PDA

View Full Version : PCM Location ?

6speedrt
05-23-2011, 02:12 AM
Been toying relocating the PCM. Question is, how close to the coil can I mount this. Reason is that I currently have the coil in the wiper cowl and was thinking of putting the PCM right beside it. What I am worried about is possible interference, not worried about water contamination, will deal with that.

Thanks,

Five9Dak
05-23-2011, 12:04 PM
My gut feeling is that it will be fine. If you want to do a test, run the coil wire overtop of the PCM and see if it causes any issues.

PeteRT
05-23-2011, 04:51 PM
im in mexico so i can't run out and see, but im pretty sure i have a blaster ss coil (the square one with the plastic fins). i mounted it under my cowl, behind the sheet metal that's under the windshield. it holds nicely with double sided tape ;-)

my glove box houses my pcm so all the cabling is run right past the coil. i don't have any issues to speak of, except, and this is a huge except.. i can't keep my LM-2 connected to my PCM. I severely doubt its because of the coil/wiring because i moved all that shit around 100 different ways and still have the same problem. i don't think the coil/pcm location is the culprit, but im not so ignorant to dismiss the possibility entirely.

before you go doing all that, just relocate the coil to near the PCM at its stock location and see what happens.

pete

6speedrt
05-23-2011, 06:00 PM
Thanks Pete,

I already have the coil mounted in the wiper cowl area, suppose when I get motivated I could temp locate it next the PCM to be sure. My glovebox is full (GPS, wideband cable & Ignition retard knob) so that is out. There is plenty of room in the cowl next to the coil though.

PeteRT
05-23-2011, 07:38 PM
yea, there is a shit-ton of room under there!! would be a good place to stash a couple kilos on the way home.....

pete

QwikKota
05-26-2011, 08:29 PM
Been toying relocating the PCM. Question is, how close to the coil can I mount this. Reason is that I currently have the coil in the wiper cowl and was thinking of putting the PCM right beside it. What I am worried about is possible interference, not worried about water contamination, will deal with that.

Thanks,

Glad to hear you are working on it again. :drive:

6speedrt
05-26-2011, 09:57 PM
Glad to hear you are working on it again. :drive:

How you been Grady, haven't heard much from you in a while. I am always messing with it. I backed it out of the garage last weekend and washed it, but I haven't had any sunny days to just take it out and drive it. I just replaced the master for the clutch and need to see if I got it all right.