PDA

View Full Version : ...battery relocation...

99BlackMagic
05-04-2008, 08:57 PM
So, who has moved their battery to the bed?

Did you have any problems? Where in the bed did you mount it? How did you connect the new battery cables to the existing one's? Any other advice?

Right now, I'm looking at putting mine on the driver side, right behind the cab. I'll run the cable down and inside the frame rail. Think I'm going to run about 10 feet of positive and 10 feet of negative cable, and bolt them up to the existing battery terminal lugs (with a minor mod, to get that to work).

Thanks!

razman131
05-05-2008, 05:10 AM
most, i think, have put it all the way on the back where the spare tire was. that is where i will eventually put mine.

6speedrt
05-05-2008, 03:21 PM
I put mine right in front of the rear diff where the old fuel tank was. I just had to weld a frame to hold it in place.

99BlackMagic
05-05-2008, 04:58 PM
...hmmm...

It sounds like you are both talking about mounting it under the bed. Is that the case? I hadn't thought of that. I was looking at sticking it in the bed. I like the idea of putting it under.

Either way, you both went centerline. I hadn't thought of that, either... but having my 245# butt and the battery on the same side, with no passenger, may affect my handling...

Thanks, guys.

6speedrt
05-05-2008, 06:58 PM
Mine isn't centerline, its a few inches away from the driveshaft though.

Several have put it on the passenger rear behind the wheel well. Works well and when you open the tailgate, its right there. Makes it real easy to service.

Five9Dak
05-06-2008, 04:03 PM
If you are a large person, as far to the passenger side rear as you can will be the best solution, thats shifting 80lbs side to side and front to back. Under the the bed is better for CG, and utility reasons. Unfortunately this makes for the longest run of cable possible.

uwntsumrtII
05-06-2008, 04:54 PM
i've got mine on the passenger side in the bed in front of the wheel well. IMO the passenger side is better for 2 reasons. 1) helps offset the weight of the driver and fuel. 2) the passenger side tire unloads more at launch than the drivers.

you'll need to run a new cable to the PDC. i used 2/0 cable. this will replace the original cable that ran from the batt to the PDC. for the negative side just run a short piece of the same sized cable from the battery directly to the frame. then i also ran another 2/0 ground cable from the frame to the block.