PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on the Rhoads v-max lifters.

slvr03dakrt
05-01-2008, 01:18 AM
Well with the cam i'm think i am going to go with i am hoping these lifters are going to tame it down a little on the street. I know a few people are running these please give me a little feedback. Also i have heard rumours that they tick at idle is this true.

uwntsumrtII
05-01-2008, 03:53 AM
are these the ones that are very similar to the ones Danno makes? if so they'll give you more vacuum back and make your throttle response VERY sensitive. i have the Danno dealeo's and i don't have a gas pedal any more, i have an on/off switch :jester:

Hugh Jassole
05-01-2008, 02:06 PM
are these the ones that are very similar to the ones Danno makes? if so they'll give you more vacuum back and make your throttle response VERY sensitive. i have the Danno dealeo's and i don't have a gas pedal any more, i have an on/off switch :jester:

I have a set of those that I didn't put in the new motor. I wonder if they're worth it now. I'm running non-adjust Harlands with custom pushrods. I don't think I could reuse those, could I ? I was saving my Danno lifters for the 426.

grapejuice1998
05-01-2008, 03:09 PM
Well with the cam i'm think i am going to go with i am hoping these lifters are going to tame it down a little on the street. I know a few people are running these please give me a little feedback. Also i have heard rumours that they tick at idle is this true.

They make all kinds of noise and they also soak up most of the rumpity idle, but you can't beat them for mixing low end performance and driveability with all out max rev hauling ass. They also give you a lot more vacuum, so your brakes and PCM will like them.

grapejuice1998
05-01-2008, 03:12 PM

Rhodes lifters actually start out compressed and pump up with rpms, giving you less cam with lower rpms, and all-in by 4,000 rpms.

uwntsumrtII
05-01-2008, 04:47 PM
I have a set of those that I didn't put in the new motor. I wonder if they're worth it now. I'm running non-adjust Harlands with custom pushrods. I don't think I could reuse those, could I ? I was saving my Danno lifters for the 426.

no, your gonna need adjustables for those lifters. hold on to them for the 426.

360 XRT
05-02-2008, 03:53 AM
I'm wondering what the longevity of rhoades roller rockers will be.I just can't see putting a roller rocker thru that abuse.I know most people that use them are pushing big HP,and sure it helps with drivability,but any slight lash has got to beat the piss out of them.

tcuillier
05-02-2008, 05:02 AM
I'm wondering what the longevity of rhoades roller rockers will be.I just can't see putting a roller rocker thru that abuse.I know most people that use them are pushing big HP,and sure it helps with drivability,but any slight lash has got to beat the piss out of them.

You might be right, but back in the day, I had a '39 Chev coupe with a 327 small block with 12.5 :1 compression. I ran a Duntov "30 - 30" solid lifter cam. That is, the intake and exhaust rockers were set with 30 thousanths lash. I ran that engine for 25 thousand miles of street and LOTS of strip usage. When I pulled the cam and lifters to replace with a roller---the cam and lifters looked and miked out as new.

Tom

Nolan
05-02-2008, 06:47 AM
No, like Tom said, it won't affect the rocker arms longevity. Flat tappet solid lifter engines have always run 30-40 thousandths valve lash with no problems.

Nolan

360 XRT
05-02-2008, 01:32 PM
keep in mind there is no bearings in a flat tappet lifter.

grapejuice1998
05-02-2008, 03:20 PM

Rhodes roller rockers? Do you mean lifters?
They've been around since the 50's, so they must be OK, otherwise there would be a lot of bad press about them and they wouldn't sell.
There's lots of good reading on them here:
http://www.rhodeslifters.com/

Nolan
05-02-2008, 07:32 PM

I thought you were talking about roller rockers?????

Nolan

360 XRT
05-03-2008, 03:41 AM
sorry guys,i was talking about roller lifters.its just anytime you use roller,you want to add the word rocker.I think rhoades lifters do the job they're made to do just fine.I just in theory can't see them holding up in a roller set-up.

Salarguy
05-03-2008, 07:55 PM
sorry guys,i was talking about roller lifters.its just anytime you use roller,you want to add the word rocker.I think rhoades lifters do the job they're made to do just fine.I just in theory can't see them holding up in a roller set-up.

Solids(with real lash) and hydraulics do, why not rollers?

grapejuice1998
05-04-2008, 01:19 AM

Well, don't buy any then.:nana: