PDA

View Full Version : Sway Bars A vs B vs C ???

dakfink
04-12-2011, 07:03 AM
OK found 3 diffrent companies that carry SwayBars for our trucks.

Was wondering if anyone has any experience with them for comparison.

Here's what I found.

Hotchkis
1 1/2" Hollow Front
15/16" Hollow Rear

BellTech
1 1/4" Solid Front
3/4" Solid rear

Addco
1 1/4" Solid Front
7/8" Solid Rear

Seems to me the Solid ones would be the better way to go. They may be smaller but they would have more material in the twist axis.

BUt I could be wrong?!

tcuillier
04-12-2011, 07:30 AM
More important than the diameter, and whether they are hollow or solid, is what material the sways are made of. Solid mild steel sways wouldn't do you any good at all. Whereas hollow / high quality "spring steel" would be killer. Solid high quality spring steel sways would be good too. Not sure, but I was told Hotchkis sways were originally solid and changed to hollow some time ago, with better control and handling results.
I don't know anything about Addco or Belltech, but I have the hollow Hotchkis, front and rear on my R/T and they made a HUGE difference in the way my truck corners and handles in general.
The stock R/T sways were solid and VERY heavy. Don't miss them a bit!

Tom

Five9Dak
04-12-2011, 12:01 PM
The modulous of elasticity (or youngs modulous) relatively constant for steels. This is the "spring constant" for the material. Mild and spring steel sway bars will have more or less the same rate for the same geometry.

The most important part is the diameter and the length of the lever arm used to deflect it. The larger the diameter and shorter the lever, the stiffer the wheel rate for the bar will be. Hollow or solid doesn't make that much difference, as the bulk of the deflection for a bar in torsion takes place at the outside. Hollow sway bars are lighter, and therefor a better design. You should just call them and ask for what the wheel rate is. If you can't get that, get the real section size, presume they all use the same lever.

My experience has been the the hotchkis pieces for these trucks are outstanding, and it doesn't surprise me they are the largest diameter.

mtlcafan79
04-12-2011, 12:35 PM
Hotchkis. Done.

dakfink
04-12-2011, 01:35 PM
Thinks I'll stick with the tried and true Hotchkis

They also have the option for being lowered. Which I am.

Thanks Guys!!