PDA

View Full Version : Cam swap without removing intake...

Wildstang
04-30-2008, 04:16 PM
As with my other thread, I wanted to share some more information with you guys that I have learned working on these trucks....

A friend of mine that owns an RT truck wanted me to do a cam swap and he was telling me that we might as well just plan an entire weekend to do it. I said I bet I could cut that install time into half, and he called :bs: on me :)

When the it all started I told him that I was going to do this without even touching the intake manifold. Him and one or two other RT guys were watching this happen.

The trick is simple. You pull the valve covers, rocker arms and pushrods. Next you install this magnetic tool that grabs onto the lifters and holds them off of the camshaft while you remove it. Needless to say I think I did the whole thing in around 6-7 hours :D The pictures of what these things are and how they work are posted below. You can get them from andersonfordmotorsport.com

Anyone wanting to make a camswap much much less time consuming (easier), heres your answer .

http://www.andersonfordmotorsport.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=370&category_id=291&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

uwntsumrtII
04-30-2008, 04:55 PM
Hmmmmmm...... interseting. IMO, i don't think they'll work. we have whats called a spider plate holding the lifters down. you'll need to remove that before you can even get tention off the lifter to get them pulled up.

so as the Myth Busters would say, BUSTED!!

NightmareR/T
04-30-2008, 05:03 PM
Hmmmmmm...... interseting. IMO, i don't think they'll work. we have whats called a spider plate holding the lifters down. you'll need to remove that before you can even get tention off the lifter to get them pulled up.

Hey, it worked on my truck. when he told me that he does not want to touch the intake manifold and all, I did call :bs: on him, but he did it. I was the first one that he did it to, and he told me this after the whole cam change. Anyway, I trusted his work and seeing after what he has done to his Mustang, plus being a Mechanical engineer I trusted him.

Wildstang
04-30-2008, 05:06 PM

Umm, i already did it :jester:. It holds the lifters up as high as they can go which probably is against that "spider plate" or whatever retainers are in there. The way you are describing it makes it sound like the lifters cant even move :p

Nolan
04-30-2008, 05:44 PM
Thanks for the info! Keep the information coming, I'm always open to easier ways to work on these things.

Nolan

Five9Dak
04-30-2008, 08:45 PM
Ha, so I've allready had the motor apart far enough to swap cams when I did the timming chain age ago, figures.

Show us how to swap out our rotten cam bearings at the same time and I'll be really impressed.

Wildstang
04-30-2008, 11:26 PM
Ha, so I've allready had the motor apart far enough to swap cams when I did the timming chain age ago, figures.

Show us how to swap out our rotten cam bearings at the same time and I'll be really impressed.

LOL, that might take some magic :p

Salarguy
04-30-2008, 11:35 PM
Just use vapor bearings, like vapor R3s:jerkit: Very strong magnets? Rare earth? Wouldn't want to drop one. large pickle to get into! HeHe.

TurboBlew
05-01-2008, 12:46 AM
As with my other thread, I wanted to share some more information with you guys that I have learned working on these trucks....

A friend of mine that owns an RT truck wanted me to do a cam swap and he was telling me that we might as well just plan an entire weekend to do it. I said I bet I could cut that install time into half, and he called :bs: on me :)

When the it all started I told him that I was going to do this without even touching the intake manifold. Him and one or two other RT guys were watching this happen.

The trick is simple. You pull the valve covers, rocker arms and pushrods. Next you install this magnetic tool that grabs onto the lifters and holds them off of the camshaft while you remove it. Needless to say I think I did the whole thing in around 6-7 hours :D The pictures of what these things are and how they work are posted below. You can get them from andersonfordmotorsport.com

Anyone wanting to make a camswap much much less time consuming (easier), heres your answer :woot:

http://www.andersonfordmotorsport.com/new_products/camtool.jpg
http://www.andersonfordmotorsport.com/new_products/Tappettools-1.jpg

Nice but thats a ferd motor. Removing the intake manifold takes all of 20mins

slvr03dakrt
05-01-2008, 12:47 AM
I thinks it would actually work pretty well. It will lift the lifters up high as they will go until they bottom out against the lifter retainers. Being that the retainers are held down by the spider plate you have no chance of the lifter coming out of the bore.

Salarguy
05-01-2008, 01:06 AM
I thinks it would actually work pretty well. It will lift the lifters up high as they will go until they bottom out against the lifter retainers. Being that the retainers are held down by the spider plate you have no chance of the lifter coming out of the bore.

Hopefully if you lost one into the cam gallery, it could be retrieved with the magnet again.

Nolan
05-01-2008, 01:10 AM
Nice but thats a ferd motor. Removing the intake manifold takes all of 20mins

Yeah, but putting it back on takes a couple of hours dinkin' around getting the old gaskets cleaned off, $30 bucks worth of new gaskets and putting the intake back on.

Nolan

TurboBlew
05-01-2008, 01:11 AM
Yeah, but putting it back on takes a couple of hours dinkin' around getting the old gaskets cleaned off, $30 bucks worth of new gaskets and putting the intake back on.

Nolan

Couple hours?? 5 mins with the abrasive wheel / wet vac and brake clean... its good to go!

slvr03dakrt
05-01-2008, 01:16 AM
Couple hours?? 5 mins with the abrasive wheel / wet vac and brake clean... its good to go!

Yep I cleaned mine yesterday I am slowly getting all of the parts prepped for the 408 so I don't have to do it when i'm putting it together its pretty much going to be a bolt on and go. "going to be a bolt on and go"-:jerkit:Yea right.

BK01RT
05-01-2008, 01:44 AM
This does work on or trucks,I know the owner of the R/T.The swap went fine and like any thing it will go faster and any kinks(if any) can be worked out the more jobs you do.This doesn't make it easy but saves time and time is money.

TurboBlew
05-01-2008, 02:43 AM
Yep I cleaned mine yesterday I am slowly getting all of the parts prepped for the 408 so I don't have to do it when i'm putting it together its pretty much going to be a bolt on and go. "going to be a bolt on and go"-:jerkit:Yea right.

I thought you were getting new heads with this build?

slvr03dakrt
05-01-2008, 02:47 AM
I thought you were getting new heads with this build?

I did I was just cleaning the residue of my m1 intake.

BlackDak59
05-01-2008, 03:15 AM
I did I was just cleaning the residue of my m1 intake.

Are you gonna get a 4bbl? Or do you already have one?

slvr03dakrt
05-01-2008, 03:25 AM
Are you gonna get a 4bbl? Or do you already have one?
I have a 2bbl right now I'm going to see how it does first. then if i'm not satisfied I'll swap with someone for a 4bbl.

uwntsumrtII
05-01-2008, 03:47 AM
ahhh, so it does work. pretty niffty :biggthumpup:

NightmareR/T
05-02-2008, 04:58 PM

Originally, when i did the first cam install, I did put new cam bearings in, and so i figured that since i put new ones in, which had only 3400 miles on them until i changed the cam, that i figured they were ok. But the new cam went in, and have loved the new cam, don't plan on changing anytime soon, ha.

Matt

Nolan
05-02-2008, 07:26 PM

Pulling the cam bearings out with the camshaft is easy! Attach the negative lead from your arc welder to the block and the positive lead to the cam and apply heavy current! Now when you pull the cam the bearings come out with it. :jester:

Just kidding! Do not try this at home!

Nolan