PDA

View Full Version : dakota r/t tans oil and pan and filter

66shelby
04-06-2011, 06:38 PM
Hello, I was wondering what is a good tans filter? K&N? Its a stock transmission for a 99' dakota r/t. Also what gasket company would you use? which is best, rubber, cork, etc. Also what is a good company that makes a trans pan that has a drain plug. thanks for all your help.

razman131
04-07-2011, 12:20 AM
use the filter from MOPAR or NAPA. be careful of the extension as there are two diff ones for the 46RE/727/518/904 transmission.

as for pan, any pan for the above will work. not all have a drain plug but can be drilled and tapped for one.

as for gasket, use sealant.

rt dak
04-07-2011, 12:51 AM
I always used an ATP brand filter in my trans because I liked the gasket that it comes with. A couple of the holes are just a little bit smaller, making the bolts a snug fit allowing you to keep the gasket lined up easy on the pan. Never had luck with RTV... a good gasket and torquing each bolt evenly will assure a leak free seal.

I had a B&M pan on mine but if you're still running stock exhaust some of the exterior fins will need to be ground down for the y-pipe to fit.

bobs rt
04-18-2011, 02:15 PM
I personally like the rubber gaskets. plus i have gotten away with reusing it multiple times. Plenty of options for the pan, i use the mopar deep aluminum pan. it has a drain plug plus an extra threaded hole for a temp sensor or whatever else you wanna stick in there.

hskr
04-18-2011, 02:58 PM
Get a gasket from the dealer. it's re-usable plastic with rubber sealing ribs. As for filter I don't think K&N makes a trans filter for our trucks. I usually just buy one from parts store. I have a B&M pan on my truck. Had to grind down a couple of the internal fins for clearance but other than that it fit fine with the Mopar/PPH headers/y-pipe. When you buy a pan make sure it's a deep pan.