PDA

View Full Version : Valve Body Removal

hobiesun
03-18-2011, 10:59 PM
What a pain in the ass by the way. Anyways, after removing the main bolts and the brackets handing on to the shaft (which will probably never be right again) there is a long rod coming from the back of the trans to almost the middle of the valve body that I can't figure out how to get off. I have looked for it on diagrams but have not found shit. I HATE AUTOMATIC TRANS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Adobedude
03-18-2011, 11:09 PM
What a pain in the ass by the way. Anyways, after removing the main bolts and the brackets handing on to the shaft (which will probably never be right again) there is a long rod coming from the back of the trans to almost the middle of the valve body that I can't figure out how to get off. I have looked for it on diagrams but have not found shit. I HATE AUTOMATIC TRANS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Parking rod...It'll come out. It's held in place by a spring gate. Get the rear tires up and rotate them just a little while pulling on the rod...Same for putting it back in, gotta move the rear tires a bit. When you go to put it back in, try doing it a few times before you reconnect it to the valve body to get a feel for it.

Got a FSM?

hobiesun
03-18-2011, 11:25 PM
Got it. Thanks. I don't have a FSM, just the oil change friendly chilton. I didn't want to go yanking on anything, well actually I wanted to hook it up to my jeep with a chain rev it to about 6k and pop the clutch but I told the little devil to go away so I came inside and asked! Hopefully it will go back in easily. Thank you very much.

stockerDak
03-19-2011, 12:51 AM
Got it. Thanks. I don't have a FSM, just the oil change friendly chilton. I didn't want to go yanking on anything, well actually I wanted to hook it up to my jeep with a chain rev it to about 6k and pop the clutch but I told the little devil to go away so I came inside and asked! Hopefully it will go back in easily. Thank you very much.

Goes back in the same way: Gotta rotate the rear tires a little bit. I was in the same perdictament you were in way back long ago when I installed my first manual valve body in a 727. Puzzled the hell out of me at first: No internet back then; Had to go find a manual. Good luck, be patient. Adobedude always has good answers. He knows these trucks well.

Adobedude
03-19-2011, 01:34 AM
Goes back in the same way: Gotta rotate the rear tires a little bit. I was in the same perdictament you were in way back long ago when I installed my first manual valve body in a 727. Puzzled the hell out of me at first: No internet back then; Had to go find a manual. Good luck, be patient. Adobedude always has good answers. He knows these trucks well.

Ha...Nothing like lying on your back under a truck holding a valve body with one hand, trying to poke the parking rod in with the other and moving the tire with you foot...All while having ATF4 dripping in your face...

I need a lift.

BryanRT360
03-19-2011, 02:02 AM
Am I the only one who left the park rod in place? I just removed the c clip of the VB and pulled it down(VB) I did slide it into 1st beforehand..

Adobedude
03-19-2011, 02:09 AM
Am I the only one who left the park rod in place? I just removed the c clip of the VB and pulled it down(VB) I did slide it into 1st beforehand..

Cheater...

That's how I did it on my Ram....But on the R/T the parking rod pulled out, I was convinced I'd killed the thing.

blackknight
03-19-2011, 03:47 AM
i did the same thing just pulled the c clip

hobiesun
03-19-2011, 05:42 AM
I almost pulled the clip but the mood I was in I figured I should ask someone. And yes, crawling on the floor, cold as hell and getting rained on with tranny fluid sucks balls. I too indeed need a lift. Next house!!! Thanks guys.

98DakRT
03-19-2011, 06:07 AM

i pulled the c-clip, but not a very fun time getting the c-clip back on!

Rick Adams
03-19-2011, 09:58 AM

I did the clip out of desperation! Had a bud to help with the reinstall so it went fairly smooth.....

BryanRT360
03-19-2011, 12:44 PM

Lol. Yeah I dropped it a few times.

bobs rt
04-18-2011, 02:32 PM
I've always pulled the clip but thats because back in the beginning i didn't know about rotating the tires to get the park rod out. A hemostat works perfect for installing the clip when installing a valvebody when the rod is left inside the trans.