PDA

View Full Version : ...transmission...

99BlackMagic
04-22-2008, 06:38 AM
Ok... I have recently made purchases for my truck based soley on my own internet browsing... only to find that others here have had different experiences (intake manifold), and that I may have saved a little money if I had gone with what is popular with forum members...

So, I'm asking... which transmission?

I've read through the "transmission sources" thread (http://www.dakotart.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1221), and am settled on either a FastMan or Dr.Evil. Both are going for about $1700-1800 (before shipping, core charge, crate fee, etc.).

I've looked into a couple other ideas, like used, but nothing seems to be "bang for the buck" like getting one of the two mentioned one's. My budget for the transmission is tight as I will be paying out the butt for shipping, so I'm not looking for any others that are outside of that sub $2k price range.

Well, I'm going to listen before I buy... which transmission do you recommend? FastMan (http://thefastman.com/transmissionComplete.asp)or Dr. Evil (http://www.dreviltransmissions.com/)?

grapejuice1998
04-22-2008, 01:35 PM
Ok... I have recently made purchases for my truck based soley on my own internet browsing... only to find that others here have had different experiences (intake manifold), and that I may have saved a little money if I had gone with what is popular with forum members...

I've read through the "transmission sources" thread (http://www.dakotart.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1221), and am settled on either a FastMan or Dr.Evil. Both are going for about $1700-1800 (before shipping, core charge, crate fee, etc.)

I've looked into a couple other ideas, like used, but nothing seems to be "bang for the buck" like getting one of the two mentioned one's. My budget for the transmission is tight as I will be paying out the butt for shipping, so I'm not looking for any others that are outside of that sub $2k price range.

Well, I'm going to listen before I buy... which transmission do you recommend? FastMan (http://thefastman.com/transmissionComplete.asp)or Dr. Evil (http://www.dreviltransmissions.com/)?

Is there something wrong with your transmission right now?

Trueblue R/T
04-22-2008, 01:41 PM
Those are both good choices.. one thing you might consider is getting a what i'll call a upgrade kit from them,,better planitaries,,heavier duty drum,,no twist band,,different ratio band apply lever,,valve body upgrade kit,,ect,,ect.. Now you can find a local shop to install the good stuff and might be able to save some money in the process..

99BlackMagic
04-22-2008, 02:58 PM
That's one of the problems with this love/hate state of Hawaii...
...they know they have you by the balls, because you are out in the middle of the Pacific.

The dealership wants $2800 for a remanufactured stock 46RE. $2800!!!

The local transmission shop (Alltrans - the only one everyone recommends) wants $600 just to open up a transmission - if I bring it to them drained, cleaned off, and ready to go.

They want $1500 to rebuild one with no promise to replace any hard parts.

So, I'll spend the $300-$400 on shipping and get a "performance built" one from the mainland for less than a "going to crap itself in another 40k miles stock built" from the dealer, and for less than a "we're going to take it apart, replace as little as possible, and see you again in a year" local rebuild.

I just don't want to get one of the two, only to find out that everyone here likes the other one better for reasons I could have found out by asking...

So, yes, my transmission is shot. Don't ask me the symptoms, I'm not troubleshooting it here. It's broke. It doesn't work. I burned it up. No question about it. It had a minor problem which I made worse. I learned a lot, but I broke the transmission.

Well, I'm leaning toward the Dr.Evil, any solid recommendations? They have the "Street Evil" build for $1750. It'll be $75 shipping to CA, and another $200 from CA to HI. Then another $475 to ship back my core. So, for $2300, I can have a better built one than going local.

grapejuice1998
04-22-2008, 03:50 PM
That's one of the problems with this love/hate state of Hawaii...
...they know they have you by the balls, because you are out in the middle of the Pacific.

The dealership wants $2800 for a remanufactured stock 46RE. $2800!!!

The local transmission shop (Alltrans - the only one everyone recommends) wants $600 just to open up a transmission - if I bring it to them drained, cleaned off, and ready to go.

They want $1500 to rebuild one with no promise to replace any hard parts.

So, I'll spend the $300-$400 on shipping and get a "performance built" one from the mainland for less than a "going to crap itself in another 40k miles stock built" from the dealer, and for less than a "we're going to take it apart, replace as little as possible, and see you again in a year" local rebuild.

I just don't want to get one of the two, only to find out that everyone here likes the other one better for reasons I could have found out by asking...

So, yes, my transmission is shot. Don't ask me the symptoms, I'm not troubleshooting it here. It's broke. It doesn't work. I burned it up. No question about it. It had a minor problem which I made worse. I learned a lot, but I broke the transmission.

Well, I'm leaning toward the Dr.Evil, any solid recommendations? They have the "Street Evil" build for $1750. It'll be $75 shipping to CA, and another $200 from CA to HI. Then another $475 to ship back my core. So, for $2300, I can have a better built one than going local.

Lots of people like this guys transmissions:
http://www.dakota-durango.com/parts_transmissions.php#TheFastman

slvr03dakrt
04-23-2008, 03:36 AM
if i am not mistaken I think the transmission the fastman sells are from a guy out of califonia. I talked with him when mine took a shit last year and having it built the way i wanted it would of cost to much with shipping and the core charge. But i have heard nothing but a good reputation for his trannies

TurboBlew
04-23-2008, 02:27 PM
Shipping isnt that expensive terminal to terminal. Id say $150 tops if you're in no hurry.

I believe the fastman uses APS for his trannies.

$600 to diagnose a tranny is TOO FUCKING HIGH. Transmission shops assume you are an ignorant fuck and will never shy away from a chance to screw you.

There is a shop in Atlanta that specializes in the 46/48res.

grapejuice1998
04-23-2008, 02:34 PM
if i am not mistaken I think the transmission the fastman sells are from a guy out of califonia. I talked with him when mine took a shit last year and having it built the way i wanted it would of cost to much with shipping and the core charge. But i have heard nothing but a good reputation for his trannies

A quick search of "Martin Saine transmissions" revealed the link on Steves site. I couldn't find a direct link to the Saine website, but you are right, Saine and Fastman are two different companies.

Adobedude
04-26-2008, 08:37 PM
Shipping isnt that expensive terminal to terminal. Id say $150 tops if you're in no hurry.

I believe the fastman uses APS for his trannies.

$600 to diagnose a tranny is TOO FUCKING HIGH. Transmission shops assume you are an ignorant fuck and will never shy away from a chance to screw you.

There is a shop in Atlanta that specializes in the 46/48res.

Dan Arcand "The Fastman" uses Martin Saine to build his trannies, NOT APS...Martin is not a full time tranny builder now, so he won't have glitzy web site, but he sure know how to build a 46RE.

Adobedude
04-26-2008, 08:38 PM
A quick search of "Martin Saine transmissions" revealed the link on Steves site. I couldn't find a direct link to the Saine website, but you are right, Saine and Fastman are two different companies.

Martin does not have a web site...He's old school....LOL

DakRat33
05-10-2008, 05:44 AM
ok, so....what's the diff between a 46RE and a 48RE? Which do I have? I have an '03 R/T

And is it possible to upgrade somehow to a 5-spd auto? Prob not due to PCM tuning, but just a thought....Thanks

Jason

geo2slow4u
05-11-2008, 04:50 PM
Martin does the trans for fastman. He does great work and is very knowledgeable. I would use him.

Shoot him a email and see what he can do for you. MSAINE1213@aol.com

slvr03dakrt
05-11-2008, 05:47 PM
agreed with mike i have heard nothing but good out of those trannies

DakRat33
05-21-2008, 09:46 PM
awesome...my truck currently has 62k miles on it, and since I do plan on adding a lot of upgrades to this, I was thinking that maybe it would be a good idea to either just change out the fluid for now, OR get a newer, stronger tranny before doing so.

What does everyone think? just fluid? or new tranny before power-adding upgrades?

Thanks

Jason

BTLFED R/T
05-22-2008, 01:50 AM
awesome...my truck currently has 62k miles on it, and since I do plan on adding a lot of upgrades to this, I was thinking that maybe it would be a good idea to either just change out the fluid for now, OR get a newer, stronger tranny before doing so.

What does everyone think? just fluid? or new tranny before power-adding upgrades?

Thanks

Jason

Do a fluid flush, filter change, and adjust the bands. :biggthumpup:

DakRat33
05-23-2008, 12:37 AM
U realize to adjust the bands as you say would require taking the transmission apart...U can't just do that thru the valve body...

but I will do the fluid change and do a diff trans pan as well

Do a fluid flush, filter change, and adjust the bands. :biggthumpup:

99BlackMagic
05-23-2008, 01:22 AM
U realize to adjust the bands as you say would require taking the transmission apart...U can't just do that thru the valve body...

DakRat, you must be talking about a different transmission, then.
The 46RE has bands that are adjustable by removing the pan...

...I know because I must have messed the torque up on mine. After adjusting, it won't go all the way into the park detent.

So, I have to start it in neutral. Learning is a painful process. Next fluid/filter I'm going to readjust with a proper torque wrench (i.e. one that has the correct range).

BTLFED R/T
05-23-2008, 01:24 AM

but I will do the fluid change and do a diff trans pan as well

Yes you can. One band is externally accessible, the other is accessible once you have the pan off. :biggthumpup: Do you have a FSM?

Siciliano15
05-24-2008, 12:06 AM

I've read through the "transmission sources" thread (http://www.dakotart.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1221), and am settled on either a FastMan or Dr.Evil. Both are going for about $1700-1800 (before shipping, core charge, crate fee, etc.).

After today, I have to reccommend Wayne at APS for a custom transmission and torque converter. From the stock trans, to the full custom APS trans with 3000 billet racefighter stall, I picked up 12½hp and 22ft-lbs of torque SAE corrected at the rear wheels with no other changes and almost identical weather conditions.

DakRat33
05-24-2008, 01:08 AM
I guess I just haven't looked @ too many Dakota trans to know that. I have seen many trans with the pan removed and hadn't seen that before. Very interesting that you can adjust stuff inside the trans from the outside. That's a new one on me...thanks

BTLFED R/T
05-24-2008, 06:11 AM
I guess I just haven't looked @ too many Dakota trans to know that. I have seen many trans with the pan removed and hadn't seen that before. Very interesting that you can adjust stuff inside the trans from the outside. That's a new one on me...thanks

I had to be schooled as well! :jester: