View Full Version : 15.63 @ 86.61

BlakDak71
02-06-2011, 02:01 AM
R/T : .449
60ft: 2.148
594f: 9.370
1/8 : 10.014 @ 69.91
1/4 : 15.632 @ 86.61

Shouldn't the truck be faster than that? Keep in mind there was a 30mph headwind. Truck is a '98 RC/SB 2wd 5.2, 5 spd, 3.92 9.25 rear. Has Holley throttle body, Mopar CAI, 1.7 HS Rockers, M1 2bbl intake, Superchips 3815. Running 30psi in 275/60/15 BFG Radial T/As with Caltracs. Seems like somethings not right though.

Five9Dak
02-06-2011, 02:38 AM
It's hard to quantify the effect a 30mph headwind will have while racing a brickwall. It seems a bit lazy out of the hole though. Did it dead hook?

BlakDak71
02-06-2011, 02:59 AM
No she kicked out a little bit. That was the best 60 foot time I could cut though. I figure with the 3.92s it's gotta be quicker than that out of the hole. On the street I've ran stock R/Ts and beat them. The track wasn't in the greatest shape either, I'm taking it to a different one this spring. With my superchips 3815 I've found that the truck runs a faster e/t with the towing program, but traps a higher speed with the perf. 93 tune. I'm hoping to do a cam/lifters/valve springs and that here soon when my income tax refund comes back in.

Five9Dak
02-06-2011, 03:25 AM
The trap speed is really low for a m1 equipped truck, but we are used to having more cubes with the 360. It does seem off to me, but its impossible to tell how much with the head wind.

With what you have plus exhaust, I trap practically 100mph if I spin.

BlakDak71
02-06-2011, 03:30 AM
That was on about a 50°. I went earlier in the year but it was a hotter day, 80° if I remember right. That day was my first time to the strip and she ran...

R/T .543
60 2.27
1/8 10.19 @ 69.19
1/4 15.80 @ 87.28. That was running the 93 Superchips tune. It's just staggering to me that it's only running mid to high 15s, it feels much faster than that and seems to run better than that on the street. That was running thru the stock exhaust minus a muffler too. I know I'm new here - I've just had a hard time getting a grasp on what this truck should be running and stumbled across this place.

hskr
02-06-2011, 04:03 AM
Try dropping your tire pressures down to 20psi next time. You were probably spinning. How were your shifts??

nevr2fast01
02-06-2011, 02:42 PM
put some spray on it and you'll be alot happier with it also weld a cut out in and open it up at the track. i gained almost 2 tenths by doing cut outs @ my mid lenghts

BlakDak71
02-06-2011, 02:56 PM
I'm just worried about dropping the pressures on my street tires down to 20psi, not sure how they'd react to that and I don't want to screw the sidewalls up. Shifts were good, shifting at about 5000rpm. I wasn't no lift shifting on those two days, so I'll have to do that next time too. I'm a little afraid of spray just because I don't want something to happen and bounce it off the rev limiter while I'm on the spray...that'd be bad lol.

Five9Dak
02-06-2011, 04:27 PM
Don't spray it till it's running correctly. I suspect your tuner might be overadvanced for the fuel octane you have. It might feel strong in on the street down low in 1st and 2nd but it might be laying over on the track when you load it up and it detonates.

Somethings not right, and thats the first thing that jumps out at me if you say it feels strong on the street.

BlakDak71
02-06-2011, 04:30 PM
So what would you suggest - turning the timing down on the tuner, or putting race gas in it? I've removed the cat at this point already when I put the exhaust on.

hskr
02-06-2011, 04:44 PM
I'm just worried about dropping the pressures on my street tires down to 20psi, not sure how they'd react to that and I don't want to screw the sidewalls up. Shifts were good, shifting at about 5000rpm. I wasn't no lift shifting on those two days, so I'll have to do that next time too. I'm a little afraid of spray just because I don't want something to happen and bounce it off the rev limiter while I'm on the spray...that'd be bad lol.
The rear end of these trucks is light enough running 20psi isn't going to hurt one bit as long as you fill them back up after you leave the track. I forgot to fill them back up one time and drove around for several days with 20psi in the rear tires before I did my weekly pressure check. I've gone as low as 15psi on street tires at the track playing around trying to find traction, and as low as 12psi on my slicks.

Adobedude
02-06-2011, 04:52 PM
An Automatic would help...

Sick 660r
02-06-2011, 05:41 PM
So what would you suggest - turning the timing down on the tuner, or putting race gas in it? I've removed the cat at this point already when I put the exhaust on.

get rid of the stupid chip shit and buy sct. Problem solved.

jj malone
02-06-2011, 06:00 PM
x2 automatic ... consistent times will be a bitch with a 5-speed

Adobedude
02-06-2011, 06:24 PM

I think everyone missed that....

hskr
02-06-2011, 06:36 PM
He's not asking why his truck isn't consistent. If anything, as long as the shifts are good, the manual tranny should lead to better track times with less drivetrain loss.

Adobedude
02-06-2011, 07:15 PM
He's not asking why his truck isn't consistent. If anything, as long as the shifts are good, the manual tranny should lead to better track times with less drivetrain loss.

:jester: If that's the case, everyone would be all over swapping to a manual tranny for drag racing.

And Ronnie Sox he's not.

Five9Dak
02-07-2011, 02:32 AM
Yeh sell that tuner on dak-dur. Be careful who you get your new SCT tune from, some tooners are just as likely to overadvance. I won't name names.

BlakDak71
02-07-2011, 02:56 AM
My times are pretty consistent, and I just really like driving the 5 speed. Not trying to start any arguments though lol. I'm going to wait til I do the top end work to get the SCT tuner though. Would hemifever be my best bet?

hskr
02-07-2011, 04:22 AM
:jester: If that's the case, everyone would be all over swapping to a manual tranny for drag racing.

And Ronnie Sox he's not.

WTF?? I don't think anyone said manual tranny's were ideal for most drag racing. Was only stating that they are more efficient transfering the power to the rear wheels so if shifted properly will lead to better times than the exact same vehicle with an auto. And Pro stock cars are more or less manual transmission. They sure as hell don't shift themselves. :flipa:

Adobedude
02-07-2011, 01:00 PM
WTF?? I don't think anyone said manual tranny's were ideal for most drag racing. Was only stating that they are more efficient transfering the power to the rear wheels so if shifted properly will lead to better times than the exact same vehicle with an auto. And Pro stock cars are more or less manual transmission. They sure as hell don't shift themselves. :flipa:

YOU: If anything, as long as the shifts are good, the manual tranny should lead to better track times with less drivetrain loss.

Looks like you said it.

My tranny doesn't shift it's self either, but it's sure not a manual transmission.

hskr
02-07-2011, 05:51 PM
YOU: If anything, as long as the shifts are good, the manual tranny should lead to better track times with less drivetrain loss.

Looks like you said it.

My tranny doesn't shift it's self either, but it's sure not a manual transmission.

So you did understand what i read, you just decided to try and take it out of context. I will always stand by that statement. Due to less power loss through the drivetrain you will always have the ability to make more power to the wheels through a manual transmission than through an auto with all else being equal. But the whole argument about an auto being better for drag racing has more to do with consistency than ability to run faster times.

wyotech_cuda440
02-07-2011, 07:11 PM
Manual trannies may put more power to the tires, but you have to let of the gas to shift. No matter how fast you shift, letting off is slower than keeping it floored. The Lenco's used in pro-stock are not a standard main shaft/counter shaft manual, they are a planetary based design like an auto, they just have shift levers instead of a valvebody to control them, and you keep the throttle pinned while you shift.

Adobedude
02-07-2011, 07:33 PM

OK Brian....Here's your quote. Word for word.

Now spin your way out of it. :jerkit:

hskr
02-07-2011, 08:49 PM
OK Brian....Here's your quote. Word for word.

Now spin your way out of it. :jerkit:

So tell me how that is a false statement Oh wise wizard of the racing community.

grapejuice1998
02-07-2011, 09:32 PM
Back to the point of the conversation; e.t. is all in the 60' time, so get it to hook good and that will drop. MPH shows HP and that's off by quite a bit in my opinion. As others have stated, somethings not right with your setup.
Have you done a tune up lately?
Have you ever run a compression check on it?

03DakStampede
02-07-2011, 10:58 PM
My times are pretty consistent, and I just really like driving the 5 speed. Not trying to start any arguments though lol. I'm going to wait til I do the top end work to get the SCT tuner though. Would hemifever be my best bet?

Yes Hemi fever would be your best bet and if you have a datalogger with a wide band even better

Adobedude
02-08-2011, 12:24 AM
So tell me how that is a false statement Oh wise wizard of the racing community.

Whatever....No wonder everyone thinks you're an ass hat. You are. You'll argue shit till your so confused you don't even know WTF point you're trying to make.

Now be a good little boy and make the nitrous comment I know you're just dying to make.

hskr
02-08-2011, 12:27 AM
Whatever....No wonder everyone thinks you're an ass hat. You are. You'll argue shit till your so confused you don't even know WTF point you're trying to make.

Now be a good little boy and make the nitrous comment I know you're just dying to make.
You do realize you are arguing this topic just as much as me?? And why would I make a nitrous comment? Never have in the past why start now?

Adobedude
02-08-2011, 12:30 AM
You do realize you are arguing this topic just as much as me?? And why would I make a nitrous comment? Never have in the past why start now?

Why not, it's the internet....:biggthumpup:

jj malone
02-08-2011, 12:43 AM
Manual trannies may put more power to the tires, but you have to let of the gas to shift. No matter how fast you shift, letting off is slower than keeping it floored. The Lenco's used in pro-stock are not a standard main shaft/counter shaft manual, they are a planetary based design like an auto, they just have shift levers instead of a valvebody to control them, and you keep the throttle pinned while you shift.

You can shift without letting out of the gas, it's just can you shift as fast as an auto and make the shift everytime