PDA

View Full Version : installing 4.56s. need install kit?

00rteezy
01-31-2011, 05:37 PM
i'm installing 4.56s today and was wondering if i can get away with just swapping the ring and pinion. the rear end has 75k on it and works flawlessly. i know a lot of you guys swear to throw in tru-trac while im in there but im just swappin the gears for now. so im just wolndering if im going to need an install kit or not. Thanks!!:hail:

98DakRT
01-31-2011, 06:31 PM
have a shop do it, its not a backyard job

mtlcafan79
01-31-2011, 06:38 PM
The crush sleeve is supposed to be replaced every time you take the rear apart.

Jontoad
01-31-2011, 08:22 PM
if you don't set them correct they will destroy themselves. they are one of the few mods i refused to do myself.

almegaj
01-31-2011, 09:21 PM
I would, Do it right the first time..

razman131
02-01-2011, 02:41 AM
each crush sleeve is unique to the pinion as it sets the pinion depth. *might* get away with the spacer shims on the carrier.

tho at less the $70 for parts(kit) and its not much diff for your installer as it all goes in anyways, why not use a install kit.

Five9Dak
02-01-2011, 11:21 AM
If you have to ask- you can't do it. Get it to a shop.

Blak92
02-01-2011, 10:42 PM
have a shop do it, its not a backyard job

I didnt do it in my back yard, I did it in my garage, but still did it myself, without help, and it was the first time ever. Over 5K on mine, and 606RWTQ. Anyone can do it, its just a job that takes A LOT of patience, the purchase of a few special tools, and some reading on how to do it. That said, the cost of the tools alone equaled the cost of someones labor to install it... so it might not be WORTH it to you to have those tools and use them one time. Ive used mine since then for other projects.

The True Trac is worth the extra $$$, I wouldnt bother opening it up to just swap gears and not put one in.

98DakRT
02-01-2011, 11:38 PM
I didnt do it in my back yard, I did it in my garage, but still did it myself, without help, and it was the first time ever. Over 5K on mine, and 606RWTQ. Anyone can do it, its just a job that takes A LOT of patience, the purchase of a few special tools, and some reading on how to do it. That said, the cost of the tools alone equaled the cost of someones labor to install it... so it might not be WORTH it to you to have those tools and use them one time. Ive used mine since then for other projects.

The True Trac is worth the extra $$$, I wouldnt bother opening it up to just swap gears and not put one in.

dude calm down. i simply suggested bringing it to a shop, as did everyone else that posted. just because your proud of yourself for doing it in your home garage doesnt mean im an idiot for suggesting him to take it to a shop

Blak92
02-02-2011, 02:12 AM
dude calm down. i simply suggested bringing it to a shop, as did everyone else that posted. just because your proud of yourself for doing it in your home garage doesnt mean im an idiot for suggesting him to take it to a shop

Easy hoss! LOL, no one called you an idoit. My point was, it can be done by most anyone who does the majority of their own work, or whoever might want to tackle it but are a little skeptical. Its really not that hard, just requires a lot of patience, and a little know how by a little reading (not that I didnt do my share of bitching and cursing). With the threaded side adjusters on the 8.25/9.25 its really simple and cuts down a lot of time and frustration I think most people run into with having to use shims. Most of the hassle is setting the pinion depth, BUT, if you get yourself an extra set of pinion bearings, you can hog out the inner of them so they just slip over the pinion shaft and you can play with the shims to get the perfect depth. Eliminates buying a retardedly expensive puller or taking it to someone that has one.

98DakRT
02-02-2011, 03:26 AM
lol i hear ya, but usually a job that is just done by a shop. i do 99% of my own work, but i would take gears to a shop just from the stories i have heard.

Five9Dak
02-02-2011, 12:07 PM
I can do my own gear work, the OP is still best of leaving it to somebody else if he had to ask if he needed an install kit.

00rteezy
02-02-2011, 11:32 PM
Thanks for the replies, about 7 hours in to it, i realized it was indeed not a backyard operation. i got the install kit being that i did have to replace the crush sleeve. i had to take the pinion off twice to get the shims right. now that everythings in place, the main pin wont fit back in because the ring gear is to big. it looks like the diff is on its way out anyway so im just going to replace it with a tru trac. you're responses have been helpful and painfully enlightening. to clear the arguments, i shouldve taken it to the shop. lol.

98DakRT
02-03-2011, 12:03 AM
AFAIK when running 4.56s the center pin needs to be shaped accordingly. mine has spots that have clearly been grinded down