PDA

View Full Version : Sheet metal Fan shroud

BryanRT360
01-26-2011, 07:57 PM
Been wanting to do this for a long time. Finally got around to doing it. I had a sheet of 18 or 20ga Stainless laying around. I made this on my Break. I used the OEM electric fan. and the clutch fan is gone for good. this fucker pulls a lot of air...(i ran with just the e-fan and the stock shroud for a while last summer and it cooled just fine.)

shitty cell pics and video
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s280/bryanrt360/IMAG0151.jpg

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s280/bryanrt360/IMAG0150.jpg

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s280/bryanrt360/IMAG0153.jpg
click on pic
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s280/bryanrt360/th_VIDEO0007.jpg (http://s154.photobucket.com/albums/s280/bryanrt360/?action=view&current=VIDEO0007.mp4)

WhiteRT
01-26-2011, 08:02 PM
Awesome - any desire to make another??? :)

I have been wanting to get a GC recall fan but the brackets are lagging, lol.

You think this pulls enough air to cool it in the summer time - I have no shroud on mine and that isnt going to work in the summer I dont think.

Todd

BryanRT360
01-26-2011, 08:20 PM

You think this pulls enough air to cool it in the summer time - I have no shroud on mine and that isnt going to work in the summer I dont think.

Todd

without a shroud you might have a problem if you get stuck in traffic.

The shroud I made pulls from the whole radiator surface, even the upper corners. I am confident this will cool it no problem sitting in traffic.

I can make more but its more if a local guy wants one. I would need to take the radiator out of the truck and make it custom to that radiator. plus it's alot easier to position the hole for the fan sitting on a bench. I ate a xanax bar before I started and it only took a 2 hrs from start to finish to make.:jester: I also seal the fan to the shroud with high temp silicone.

WhiteRT
01-26-2011, 08:27 PM

The shroud I made pulls from the whole radiator surface, even the upper corners. I am confident this will cool it no problem sitting in traffic.

I can make more but its more if a local guy wants one. I would need to take the radiator out of the truck and make it custom to that radiator. plus it's alot easier to position the hole for the fan sitting on a bench. I ate a xanax bar before I started and it only took a 2 hrs from start to finish to make.:jester: I also seal the fan to the shroud with high temp silicone.

Yeah my radiator is the same as yours, same fan and all - I need to do something for it.

And good god that blower is a tweety bird - it whistles dixie pretty good at idle.

GoFastGray
01-26-2011, 09:43 PM

Todd

It should work fine...unless your planning on actually driving your truck out of the garage :nana:

Maybe I'll make another trip to go up there and help you :biggthumpup:

WhiteRT
01-26-2011, 09:46 PM
It should work fine...unless your planning on actually driving your truck out of the garage :nana:

Maybe I'll make another trip to go up there and help you :biggthumpup:

Wait until it wont start - then come up to help me figure out why LOL!!!!!!!!

Its close - I am looking into doing an air/water setup for it too.

Todd

blackknight
01-27-2011, 04:31 AM
nice i been wanting to do that, but i have the big blu fan from flex a lite something similar to this but blue
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PRO-67015/

SB440R/T
01-27-2011, 04:33 AM

Want to make one for the GC fan? I your old radiator and fan sitting the the garage. But still need those brackets.

BryanRT360
01-27-2011, 04:50 AM
Want to make one for the GC fan? I your old radiator and fan sitting the the garage. But still need those brackets.

I could do that. could probably make brackets for it too.(wont be as pretty as Rob's) the sheet metal i have is SS. it has been laying around for yrs and has some surface scratches, nothing too deep though. next time your in the states bring the Rad and fan over and we can knock it out..(if you have time.)

SB440R/T
01-27-2011, 04:51 AM
I could do that. could probably make brackets for it too.(wont be as pretty as Rob's) the sheet metal i have is SS. it has been laying around for yrs and has some surface scratches, nothing too deep though. next time your in the states bring the Rad and fan over and we can knock it out..(if you have time.)

Yea, half my vacation in March will be spent in AZ. But I can leave it with you if you would not mind.

BryanRT360
01-27-2011, 04:52 AM
Yea, half my vacation in March will be spent in AZ. But I can leave it with you if you would not mind.

I dont mind at all.

SB440R/T
01-27-2011, 04:57 AM
I dont mind at all.

Cool, I will get with you when I get home.

BryanRT360
01-27-2011, 04:57 AM
Cool, I will get with you when I get home.

:biggthumpup:

GoFastGray
01-27-2011, 07:03 AM
Wait until it wont start - then come up to help me figure out why LOL!!!!!!!!

Its close - I am looking into doing an air/water setup for it too.

Todd

Make two, so I have one too :biggthumpup:

Five9Dak
01-27-2011, 12:49 PM
Good work Bryan, looks really nice. Only thing I might suggest for future ones would be a few one way doors to let more air through the raddy at higher speeds.

BryanRT360
01-27-2011, 02:18 PM
Good work Bryan, looks really nice. Only thing I might suggest for future ones would be a few one way doors to let more air through the raddy at higher speeds.

How big would you make them? How would you keep them from rattling? How would you get them to seal up at lower speeds to increase the vacuum? I'll think about it for a bit and see what I come up with. :biggthumpup:

Five9Dak
01-27-2011, 02:38 PM
If there is vacuum inside the shroud they will shut :-)

Check out what is done for some road track style cooling systems, you might get some ideas.

wyotech_cuda440
01-27-2011, 02:59 PM
How big would you make them? How would you keep them from rattling? How would you get them to seal up at lower speeds to increase the vacuum? I'll think about it for a bit and see what I come up with. :biggthumpup:

You can just make the doors out of some thin rubber, that's what most companies do. I'm on my phone and I can't post pics, but if you go to becool.com you can see pics on the home page.

KTK00R/T
01-27-2011, 03:07 PM
Damn I want one... Stock Rad + E-fan without the shroud don't cut it in the summer..

GoFastGray
01-27-2011, 03:31 PM
You can just make the doors out of some thin rubber, that's what most companies do. I'm on my phone and I can't post pics, but if you go to becool.com you can see pics on the home page.

Much like the Viper fan shroud?

rattler360
01-27-2011, 06:15 PM
im removing my spal fan, on my c&r racing radiator, and making a shroud to mount the jeep fan also, yours looks really great

BryanRT360
01-27-2011, 06:19 PM
im removing my spal fan, on my c&r racing radiator, and making a shroud to mount the jeep fan also, yours looks really grear

thanks #1

BryanRT360
01-27-2011, 06:19 PM
im removing my spal fan, on my c&r racing radiator, and making a shroud to mount the jeep fan also, yours looks really great

thanks #2

Five9Dak
01-27-2011, 06:21 PM
Bryan is being pretty grateful today.

stevenz1inoc
01-27-2011, 06:24 PM

Todd

I know one that does, but damn you never call me back! lol

WhiteRT
01-27-2011, 06:28 PM
I know one that does, but damn you never call me back! lol

Oh that was you calling - LOL! After my ordeal with Scott and the State of CA I dont answer any numbers with socal area codes, LOL!

I got a new android phone and they couldnt port my numbers from my instinct so I lost everyones #'s.

Todd

rattler360
01-27-2011, 06:35 PM
sorry for the double post didnt know it happened

stevenz1inoc
01-27-2011, 06:35 PM

Just do it like I made mine, here is a link to my old thread which still has the pics attached:

http://www.dakotart.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1711

If you do it like that then you wont have any problems at all. And using the stock E-fan is a nice idea, saves on the money compared to doing what I did.

stevenz1inoc
01-27-2011, 06:36 PM
Oh that was you calling - LOL! After my ordeal with Scott and the State of CA I dont answer any numbers with socal area codes, LOL!

I got a new android phone and they couldnt port my numbers from my instinct so I lost everyones #'s.

Todd

Ah, ok, makes sense now. I was like WTF, he dont like me anymore! lol

See if I help clean out any garages in the future!

BryanRT360
01-27-2011, 06:48 PM
Just do it like I made mine, here is a link to my old thread which still has the pics attached:

If you do it like that then you wont have any problems at all. And using the stock E-fan is a nice idea, saves on the money compared to doing what I did.

thanks for the link. yours looks great:biggthumpup:

Hugh Jassole
01-27-2011, 08:55 PM

Lemme know if you decide to do a cherokee fan one. i have an uninstalled fan you can use. I've been waiting on Rob too.

BryanRT360
01-27-2011, 09:04 PM
Lemme know if you decide to do a cherokee fan one. i have an uninstalled fan you can use. I've been waiting on Rob too.

bring down your fan and radiator and we can make it work

1EVILR/T
01-28-2011, 07:56 PM

Me too....Me too

mtlcafan79
01-28-2011, 08:30 PM
I think we've all been waiting on Rob.

1EVILR/T
01-28-2011, 09:45 PM
I think we've all been waiting on Rob.

Yip!:D

uwntsumrtII
01-28-2011, 10:08 PM
I got ahold of him. He ensures me that production begins on Monday. Believe me, its pissing me off too. Im going out there Tuesday after work.

Five9Dak
01-28-2011, 10:14 PM
How large is the first production run for? I can't even remember if I'm on the "list" or if there is even a list. But I want some. I need to hit up Robby for that fan....

uwntsumrtII
01-28-2011, 10:31 PM
I'll start a list once I know they are being made.

SB440R/T
01-29-2011, 05:58 AM
I got ahold of him. He ensures me that production begins on Monday. Believe me, its pissing me off too. Im going out there Tuesday after work.

Victory.

mtlcafan79
01-29-2011, 01:40 PM
Victory.

http://neubranderinc.com/images/stewie%20victory.jpg

uwntsumrtII
01-29-2011, 02:04 PM
I believe he's gonna run off 20 sets to start with.

KTK00R/T
01-29-2011, 09:11 PM
I believe he's gonna run off 20 sets to start with.

In. :rockwoot:

Hugh Jassole
01-30-2011, 12:51 AM
make sure my name is on one of 'em

Branx5.9
01-30-2011, 01:11 AM
make sure my name is on one of 'em

Same here:biggthumpup:

ScojoDak
01-31-2011, 01:06 AM
*raises hand up for a 1998 set*

Five9Dak
01-31-2011, 01:11 AM
I also foget now- these aren't for older trucks yet, are they?

98Dak408
01-31-2011, 12:32 PM
Been wanting to do this for a long time. Finally got around to doing it. I had a sheet of 18 or 20ga Stainless laying around. I made this on my Break. I used the OEM electric fan. and the clutch fan is gone for good. this fucker pulls a lot of air...(i ran with just the e-fan and the stock shroud for a while last summer and it cooled just fine.) Nice job. That shroud should definately help.

Also very nice.

I'll start a list once I know they are being made.
I got to say also a nice clean job.

You guys have done some nice fab work!

ScojoDak
01-31-2011, 07:50 PM
I also foget now- these aren't for older trucks yet, are they?

Thought he said he'd run some for 98/99 years. Perhaps he'll chime in to confirm.