PDA

View Full Version : Replacing OEM gauge cluster

GrimRT
04-13-2008, 10:24 PM
I am in the process of making a custom gauge cluster that will include a speedo, tach, wb, boost gauges ect. Anyone else on here done this? Rob, did you space yours forward? I have an ugly gap between the fascia and the cluster face. Any pics, ideas, ect. would be appreciated. BTW I hate fucking plexiglass.......

uwntsumrtII
04-13-2008, 10:34 PM
both Ken & I reused the black bezel that goes around the cluster itself to hide that gap. didn't have to space the face out. but i did have to cut the studs on the guages down. i still used the studs to mount the guages. just cut them down flush to the mounting nuts.

what's up with the Plexi?

GrimRT
04-13-2008, 10:54 PM
I was having a heck of a time cutting it. Then, after my second attempt I had one cut to make and it broke in half.

Did you have to cut the surround? I have an 02 and I have to cut the the OEM material out. I'll probably make a mess of it. What I am thinking about doing is cannibalizing the OEM cluster and using some sheet metal for the gauge mounting plate.

uwntsumrtII
04-13-2008, 11:06 PM
i've never had an 01+ apart. much less been inside one.

Adobedude
04-13-2008, 11:47 PM
I bought a spare cluster and dash bezel to do this, but it was my understanding the PCM will freak-out if it doesn't find the gauges...So I never did anything but pull of the needles, and cover up everything but the speedo.
IT looks good, especially since the autometer Fuel pressure memory box on the plixiglass covering the void.

GrimRT
04-20-2008, 02:30 AM
I finally got it done. What a PITA. I looks great though. I managed to keep the plastic gauge cover and use the factory cluster pod. I just wish I could find interior spray paint here.......I'll post some pics tomorrow.

GrimRT
04-20-2008, 10:38 PM
Finally.....the only real fuck-up is my fuel gauge ended-up too close to the tach for some reason. I guess I can live with it.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y223/sammyfred/gauges.jpg

uwntsumrtII
04-20-2008, 10:44 PM
looks sweet bro!!:biggthumpup:

John
04-20-2008, 11:51 PM
wow that looks awesome!

Adobedude
04-21-2008, 04:46 AM
Finally.....the only real fuck-up is my fuel gauge ended-up too close to the tach for some reason. I guess I can live with it.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y223/sammyfred/gauges.jpg

Are you still on the PCM?

Looks good, I wanted to do the same but figured the PCM would throw a fit if I ditched the stock gauges...

uwntsumrtII
04-21-2008, 04:50 AM
DFI i believe and a manual trans.

GrimRT
04-21-2008, 02:48 PM
Yup, DFI and manual swap. The only things my PCM control are the ASD and voltage regulator for the alternator. As soon as I figure how to get rid of those , the PCM is gone.

Jon