PDA

View Full Version : Why stay away from Powerdyne?

Daniel Clark
10-22-2010, 03:27 PM
Ive been reading on the forums and several people are saying to stay away from powerdyne. I just want to know why? There is a guy selling a complete working kit for 850 for a ram or durango next to where i live.
Thanks

razman131
10-22-2010, 03:55 PM
Ive been reading on the forums and several people are saying to stay away from powerdyne. I just want to know why? There is a guy selling a complete working kit for 850 for a ram or durango next to where i live.
Thanks

from what i remember, tuning and the aux fuel system... but thats yrs ago...

hit up Todd (whiteRT) for more info.... and hes in your area too...

grapejuice1998
10-22-2010, 04:27 PM
That and the internal belt drive can snap in two.

Save your money. :biggthumpup:

Daniel Clark
10-22-2010, 05:12 PM
ohhh. ok. Yeah, i think im going to save my money. Thanks for the warning guys!

mtlcafan79
10-27-2010, 07:10 PM
Install blower. Does not acheive/hold 6psi as advertised. Belt slips. Install 9psi pulley to make up difference. Blower is now being overspun. Belt slips more. Doesn't make 9psi. Internal belt breaks if you're lucky. If the internal belt holds the bearings fail and the impellar impacts the case shedding all the fins. Guess where they go?

Daniel Clark
10-27-2010, 07:32 PM
Dang man... Thats prety narly. I just decided i want to make a quick truck without boreing out the motor or pulling it. Im guessing heads, cam, intake manifold, tb, sct, full exhaust... you can get a lot of power from a 360....

WhiteRT
10-27-2010, 08:18 PM
Others have said some good points about the internal belt and the sub standard bearings powerdyne uses (both are fixable for another few hundred bux).

The drive belt slips due to TREMENDOUS flex in the shitty powerdyne bracketry - the blower wobbles a bit idle to tell you how loose it is.

The tensioner system on the powerdyne SUCKS but again can be fixed by making an adapter plate to mount the stock spring tensioner.

All in all its an entry level at best blower kit.

By the time you buy a 750 dollar powerdyne kit expect to have 2 grand in it with all the necessary up grades and proper tuning (I would ditch the FMU setup for an SCT setup).

There is a guy on here selling a NICE vortech kit that would probably take 2 grand for it if you had the $$$ in hand since 3 grand wasnt even catching a wiff of interest. The vortech kit is a nice for just a bolt on and go of 9psi.

I have been through a few blowers now, like all of them except kenne bell, haha. All have their quirks. For best power from a supercharger I wouldnt look too much further than a paxton kit. For easiest bolt on installation with as advertised power gains I wouldnt look much past the vortech. For ALL OUT power TURBOCHARGER!

Here is a pic of my vortech and I love the way it bolts, it is very easy and very non intrusive.

http://www.rtmods.com/Images/Misc.%20Temp/motor_90perc.jpg

bfranzel
10-27-2010, 08:25 PM
http://www.rtmods.com/Images/Misc.%20Temp/motor_90perc.jpg

damn that set up looks a lot better than mine. was that pic from before or is that how it sits?

WhiteRT
10-27-2010, 08:28 PM
damn that set up looks a lot better than mine. was that pic from before or is that how it sits?

That is the kit I used to sell - I machined all the bracketry and got all the tubes from the original vortech kits. It is a different airhat as well.

That is how it sits right now.

Todd

bfranzel
10-27-2010, 11:50 PM
That is the kit I used to sell - I machined all the bracketry and got all the tubes from the original vortech kits. It is a different airhat as well.

That is how it sits right now.

Todd

looks good though. do you run an intercooler, meth or nothing?

WhiteRT
10-28-2010, 02:06 AM
looks good though. do you run an intercooler, meth or nothing?

I have a labonte kit in the box that I am putting on it, hope to fire it up again soon but I am about 2 weeks away from being in the hospital with my wife with the 'crybaby' being born, haha. I hope this can be the year I FINALLY get it going again - money was an issue for a couple years and the last two years it has been time. Same ole story as everyone else :)

Todd

2k1AmberR/T
10-28-2010, 02:22 AM
Dang man... Thats prety narly. I just decided i want to make a quick truck without boreing out the motor or pulling it. Im guessing heads, cam, intake manifold, tb, sct, full exhaust... you can get a lot of power from a 360....

Might as well leave it stock and buy a turbo. Just my opinion. After doing heads/cam/intake/bolt ons...the best thing I did was turbo hands down. If I could do it over again my engine would be stock with the turbo.

heads - 1500
cam, rockers, pushrods, timing chain - 1000
intake - 500
tb - 300
sct - 450
exhaust - 1000

How much is that, something like 5 grand? 4750? Yeah. That doesnt include stupid shit like gaskets and fluids and bolts and if you decide to jump on the hemifever bandwagon for some reason you'll need to dump a few hundred more into a datalogger, depending on the exhaust system you go with it could be quite a bit more than just 1000 for something free flowing and adequate enough for a heads/cam combo. And then you're limited to probably about 300-325hp (if that) at the wheels while maintaining a well behaved street vehicle. On 10 pounds you can make 350+ on a stock engine with a turbo. Not to mention the torque numbers are gobs more than an n/a heads/cam combo... And then it drives like a stock truck, except faster when you mash the gas! That's only 5500 dollars for a COMPLETE kit. Including gaskets, fittings, other hardware, etc.

caddman
10-28-2010, 02:43 AM
which turbo kit you running?

2k1AmberR/T
10-28-2010, 02:53 AM
PIE RTS. It is bad ass.

http://performanceinjectionequipment.com/rts.php

White Turbo
10-28-2010, 03:02 AM
PIE RTS. It is bad ass.

http://performanceinjectionequipment.com/rts.php

Ah yes....

Another satisfied PIE customer !!!
:jester:

Chris should put you on his payroll
:nana:

caddman
10-28-2010, 04:42 AM
thanks found your thread was reading it.....so you do understand my needing to get the truck back on the road...:burnout: lol will say impressive setup, definatly mankinf me lean more towards the turbo....

Daniel Clark
10-29-2010, 05:33 PM
Wow, thats a clean engine!!! I just have to keep saving. In about a month i could probably buy that vortech. It takes a while to save when you are a full time student and part time worker. haha.