PDA

View Full Version : thinkin about a supercharger. a few ?'s

99408kotar/t
10-21-2010, 02:07 AM
I have the setup in my sig and was curiousif I could slap on a surcharges and just run like 6psi until I change piston and get a forged crank. What things would i need to look out for? My cam is a 236/242 on a 108lsa. Im sure not ideal for boost but will I be ok until I change it? Now like with procharger kits do i need bigger Injectors or does the inline boost a pump and fmu take care of it? Head baskets? How much boost can I run with 10:5:1 comp. Would the p1sc be a good unit to get? Sorry for all the questions Thanks for any help

WhiteRT
10-21-2010, 02:35 AM
In my opinion your compression ratio is too high for a boosted application - if you get a good deal on the blower buy it with future plans.

Just my .02

Todd

99408kotar/t
10-21-2010, 02:51 AM
In my opinion your compression ratio is too high for a boosted application - if you get a good deal on the blower buy it with future plans.

Just my .02

Todd

That's kinda what I thought but I talked to the guy at sdce and he said I can do it with low boost and meth inj. He said its no different then supercharging an ls motor or 6.1 hemi. They run high compression and the kits for them are like 8psi. I would be happy if I could run 6 OSI for now until I pill the engine again. I also have a cast crank which I was told is good for 600 crank HP.

WhiteRT
10-21-2010, 03:08 AM
That's kinda what I thought but I talked to the guy at sdce and he said I can do it with low boost and meth inj. He said its no different then supercharging an ls motor or 6.1 hemi. They run high compression and the kits for them are like 8psi. I would be happy if I could run 6 OSI for now until I pill the engine again. I also have a cast crank which I was told is good for 600 crank HP.

The crank is the least of your problems - it should be fine for a blower application in a moderate horsepower application.

The LS motor has more head bolts = better clamping = no head lift.....I just dont think I would give boost a shot with 10.5:1

*EDIT* 10.5:1 with 6psi will get you up around 15:1 static compression ratio. I would definitely do some head gaskets and head studs :) - To put it in perspective an 8:1 motor running 15 psi is about 16:1, haha. The stock 9.2:1 with 9psi will give you under 15:1. Now that being said you will only get 6psi at max rpm out of the procharger so its up to you, most of the time you will only see 3-4 psi with a 6psi pulley.

Either way - I am sure SDCE will say I am idiot.....

I do like the concept of higher compression with less boost though on a centrifugal setup....for whatever thats worth. Your is just meant for an NA setup is all.

Todd

99408kotar/t
10-21-2010, 03:23 AM
I think I have the felpro 1008 head gaskets and arp head bolts

WhiteRT
10-21-2010, 03:52 AM
I think I have the felpro 1008 head gaskets and arp head bolts

The head gaskets are fine - you will get better clamping force by switching to head studs.

And to be honest you may not ever have a problem at 6psi as you will only see that at 6000+ RPM. Otherwise you will only be into a couple pounds of boost.

My question is does procharger make a 6lb 7rib pulley for our trucks....

Also I would ditch the DFMU and go to an SCT setup - that again would be my preference....

There is some other things about your setup that probably are not ideal for boost. I guess it could be done with LOW boost but it is not ideal and I dont think I would give it a go for 6psi of boost at max rpm.

If you do it though, you will fall in love with that whistle :) - It will be incentive to redo your setup for boost :)

Todd

meangreen
10-21-2010, 04:12 PM
Cometic will make you a head gasket that is thick enough to drop your CR around 1 point ....

Sick 660r
10-21-2010, 07:16 PM
Not exactly on topic but I had a talk with chris about head stud torque. First off motor oil is not a good idea and you really should be using arp lube. With arp lube the studs should be torqued to 100 foot pounds and with motor oil its 140. I torqued mine to 120 with motor oil and I have been buring a little coolant for a while now. Next time around I will be torquing to 120 with arp lube.

99408kotar/t
10-22-2010, 12:33 AM
I talked to Chris at pie today and he said I can do it but I can probably only run 6 psi. He said it should net me another 80hp or so. Good enough for me. Can I just install a walbro fuel pump and bigger Injectors and have hemifever tune it and not install the fmu and boost a pump? Which 2 bar map is everyone using and any other things I should know? Thanks guys

99408kotar/t
10-22-2010, 03:25 AM
Anyone?

buckou812
10-28-2010, 05:13 AM
If you talked to Chris then why don't you let him do the tuning. Buy the 2bar from Chris. Talk to him about fuel delivery issues. Do not buy a P1SC headunit. Make sure you atleast get a D1SC. Trust me I am already in this bad ride with a P1SC.

Rtspeeddemon
10-28-2010, 12:01 PM
Honestly at 10.5-1 comp i dont know how you are going to get fuel to support that static comp ratio once boosted even at 6 lbs. I think your asking for trouble.

99408kotar/t
10-28-2010, 01:46 PM
Honestly at 10.5-1 comp i dont know how you are going to get fuel to support that static comp ratio once boosted even at 6 lbs. I think your asking for trouble.

Well its not looking like I'm going to. I was gonna put a walbro fuel pump in it, 50lb Injectors, and use meth injection. I talked to Chris at pie and someone from sd-concepts and both said the p1 with meth injection with my compression would be fine with around 6-7 psi, but all you guys with experience with them say no so I'm prob not gonna do it. I'll look for a d-1 or another kit for future plans

Rtspeeddemon
10-28-2010, 04:39 PM
Ultimately think of where you want the truck to be HP wise. Don't stop-gap it for now and compromise buying something that wont satisfy the end goal or its just money down the drain.

99408kotar/t
10-28-2010, 05:06 PM
Ultimately think of where you want the truck to be HP wise. Don't stop-gap it for now and compromise buying something that wont satisfy the end goal or its just money down the drain.

I really would be happy with high to mid 11's without nitrous but thats not looking like its gonna be possible. I dont think there's much more HP left to be had in my motor. Without weight reduction 11's n/a isn't happening

WhiteRT
10-28-2010, 05:31 PM
I really would be happy with high to mid 11's without nitrous but thats not looking like its gonna be possible. I dont think there's much more HP left to be had in my motor. Without weight reduction 11's n/a isn't happening

There is a vortech for 1000 on dak-duh right now.....I can get you the missing piece you need for 175 bux (main bracket).

Vortech will upgrade the head unit for about 600 bux.

I would hurry and head over there if you want to supercharge....it would be a CHEAP option.

Todd