PDA

View Full Version : Accel DFI vs. F.A.S.T.

brad99rt59
01-28-2008, 11:06 AM
title says what i really wanna know....

I know FAST has been proven and can work on our trucks...ive seen it. Ive also seen alot more people these days going with DFI...

Is there a reason? does DFI have more tuning options than FAST? Price wise they are almost the same....is one easier or more user friendly than the other?

I want to get the most out of my project and stand alone system is no doubt the way to go i know...i just dont want to be one of the few alone out there with a FAST if DFI is the wave of the future and alot of you know how to work it.

Anyone care to lend some experience and knowledge?

where is the best place and price to get each? Was quoted $2000 for FAST XFI and $1600 to install and tune it.

thanks

Lederip
01-28-2008, 01:31 PM
Don't forget Bigstuff3. $1600 is a lot for the install and tune. I have less then 4 hours into the install. Couple of hours on a dyno and your set!!
Ken

brad99rt59
01-28-2008, 08:00 PM
Don't forget Bigstuff3. $1600 is a lot for the install and tune. I have less then 4 hours into the install. Couple of hours on a dyno and your set!!
Ken

Haven't heard of that system....more info?

That price was quoted and dont know if he was full of shit but he claimed it took one guy about three days to wire it in and install it properly...guess I would bite the labor for that one.

Lederip
01-29-2008, 03:44 PM
bigstuff3.com You can take a look at the owners manual. I run a crank trigger and get the cam sync from a MSD billet dist. I also removed the PMC, run aftermarket gauges and switched the trans to A-518. My install was a lot simpler then yours is going to be if you keep the PMC-Gauges-Trans.

uwntsumrtII
01-29-2008, 03:57 PM
hey Ken, need a sig pic, :D

IMG]http://i27.tinypic.com/2r5fdxf.jpg[/IMG (add [ & ] at each end)

http://i27.tinypic.com/2r5fdxf.jpg

Rtspeeddemon
01-29-2008, 05:36 PM
Just a reminder John Meaney originally wrote the software for F.A.S.T then left and wrote Accel DFI. Now he is the brain behind BigStuff3

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com/tech/0704gm_mr_efi/index.html

uwntsumrtII
01-29-2008, 05:41 PM
i second the BS3 choice. i've seen it used first hand on Kenny's truck and it looks a lot simpler to use than DFI which i have. DFI is too complicated for me. i struggle to figure most of it out.

mtlcafan79
01-29-2008, 05:47 PM
You struggle to figure out a lot of things. lol....

I personally would get whatever your local tuner likes. You will most likely not be able to do it on your own without some kinda help to get started at least.

uwntsumrtII
01-29-2008, 05:49 PM

I personally would get whatever your local tuner likes. You will most likely not be able to do it on your own without some kinda help to get started at least.

yes i do, LOL!! i'm good hands on, but me not smert like that, LOL!!

Rtspeeddemon
01-29-2008, 05:50 PM

Excellent point.

Rtspeeddemon
01-29-2008, 05:51 PM
yes i do, LOL!! i'm good hands on, but me not smert like that, LOL!!

Keep your hands to yourself and please wash frequently :p

Lederip
01-29-2008, 11:42 PM
I remember that race!! I got beat pretty bad that dat :)
Thanks for sig.

Lederip
01-30-2008, 12:11 AM
Local tuner is the best option for a first timer. It helps the learning curve if someone walks you thru it. The support network is great, Steve Petty and Don Bailey will answer your questions anytime you call. They stay on the line and make sure you understand whats going on. John Meane answers all E-mails within hours. Bottom line--I went with what the Local tuner likes!! I still learn something new every time out.

uwntsumrtII
01-30-2008, 03:40 AM
I remember that race!! I got beat pretty bad that dat :)
Thanks for sig.

we were swapped lanes and a couple years ago for the race your thinkin about. you blew my doors off in that pic, LOL!!

uwntsumrtII
01-30-2008, 03:50 AM
Local tuner is the best option for a first timer. It helps the learning curve if someone walks you thru it. The support network is great, Steve Petty and Don Bailey will answer your questions anytime you call. They stay on the line and make sure you understand whats going on. John Meane answers all E-mails within hours. Bottom line--I went with what the Local tuner likes!! I still learn something new every time out.

hey Ken, try this.

add a [ to the biginning and a ] to the end of this code
IMG]http://i27.tinypic.com/2r5fdxf.jpg[/IMG

and put it in this box

http://i28.tinypic.com/2qsorcm.png

Jumperman18
04-14-2008, 04:29 AM
Accel DFI has a very steep learning curve. It will take you many sessions to learn the program yourself or just a bunch of patience. However, Accel allows unlimited control of your power train, drive train and other functions. Instillation is relatively strait forward but being a complete standalone there are a few challenges.

Its almost too much freedom Lol!

GrimRT
04-14-2008, 04:27 PM
I found the hardest part of using a standalone is the setup. Just wiring it in a set a few parameters is only the starting point. The learning curve of any standalone will be steep, no matter how easy the software appears to be to use. Once you get a handle on it and start getting comfortable with it and understanding what is going on, it is surprisingly easy to use. That being said, it has been my experience that you really should use a system that your tuner is familiar with (like others have said). It will save you time and money.

99BarneyRT
04-14-2008, 05:44 PM
Isn't the new DFI Thruster more user friendly and less learning curve to deal with? Since its not a complete stand alone....

mtlcafan79
04-14-2008, 06:06 PM
DFI Thruster as well as the MSD Blaster EFI are both BigStuff 3 rebadges IIRC.

txlen
04-16-2008, 07:24 PM
My vote is on Big Stuff 3 ..i've used it and i like it alot better than either Accel or F.A.S.T. .. i've seen quite alot of FAST boxes have issues..

HailHail99
04-25-2008, 12:38 AM
Not looking to threadjack, but how much work am I looking at to swap a built 408 with the FAST system from a doner truck to my truck? I am gonna be taking the motor, tranny, exhaust, etc?

uwntsumrtII
04-25-2008, 03:25 AM
i wouldn't think it would be too difficult. pretty much a cut and paste.