PDA

View Full Version : Where to penetrate firewall for wideband?

2k1AmberR/T
09-07-2010, 01:56 AM
I know there are a lot of wideband users on here, I'm curious where you chose to run the cable through the cab? Anyone?

Adobedude
09-07-2010, 02:16 AM
I know there are a lot of wideband users on here, I'm curious where you chose to run the cable through the cab? Anyone?

I drilled a new hole in the floor board...It's called a firewall for a reason.

2k1AmberR/T
09-07-2010, 02:26 AM
I thought there was an existing grommet somewhere I could use but I haven't found it, at least not on the passenger side.

hskr
09-07-2010, 02:42 AM
Run it up the drivers side. There is a rubber grommet where the master cylinder for the manual tranny trucks would sit under the brake booster.

User
09-07-2010, 03:09 AM
On my 01, under the passenger side kick panel, there is a rubber grommet about the size of a quarter you can pull out and it gives you enough space to run the wide-band wire. Then run it over and down on top of the tranny to keep it away from the exhaust, you can put a hole in the rubber grommet and leave it in the hole so the wire does not rub on the sharp corners and cut it open.

emwhiteR/T
09-07-2010, 03:09 AM
You can pull the kick panels off and run the wire down through it and out near the front of the fender flare. No cutting or drilling required.

PeteRT
09-07-2010, 03:33 AM
i drilled a hole under my passenger seat... but after poking around looking for a place to run 1" OD water lines this weekend.. i would look hard at poking your o2 wires through the kick panel, as suggested. at least on the passenger side, you'll have to pull out the rubber backer board.. behind it you'll see 2 rubber plugs, very close to the the antenna wire. you cant see them by looking down near the hood latch... you might be able to feel them. perfect spot.
pete

Adobedude
09-07-2010, 03:48 AM
i drilled a hole under my passenger seat... but after poking around looking for a place to run 1" OD water lines this weekend.. i would look hard at poking your o2 wires through the kick panel, as suggested. at least on the passenger side, you'll have to pull out the rubber backer board.. behind it you'll see 2 rubber plugs, very close to the the antenna wire. you cant see them by looking down near the hood latch... you might be able to feel them. perfect spot.
pete

Passenger side is better than drivers side,...Like TKO told me, an 1/8" hole in the firewall will be a blow torch at 100 mph if a fire breaks out..

No thanks.

RJ_Hythloday
09-07-2010, 03:56 AM
Mines passenger side, there's a heat shield on the engine bay side, so it's not a direct hole to the engine bay. Under the rubber shield under the carpet, and then I loosened that shield and it drops down, put the shield back.

PeteRT
09-07-2010, 04:17 AM
Passenger side is better than drivers side,...Like TKO told me, an 1/8" hole in the firewall will be a blow torch at 100 mph if a fire breaks out..

No thanks.

i believe it. just imagine how terrible it would be to have the hole behind the pedal and the driver needing to brake & bail.

pete

grapejuice1998
09-07-2010, 04:22 AM
I ran all my nitrous wires through a grommet in the drivers side firewall. I think it's for the emergency brake cable, or the shifter cable.

hskr
09-07-2010, 12:08 PM
Personally I wouldn't drill any holes in the firewall for routing wires. Not because of the possibility of a fire, but because there are already enough holes from the factory there is no need to actually drill any. If you are worried about a hole becoming a "blow torch" going down the track from an engine fire, then you will be incinerated just from all the factory holes without adding any extra holes.

Adobedude
09-07-2010, 12:13 PM
Personally I wouldn't drill any holes in the firewall for routing wires. Not because of the possibility of a fire, but because there are already enough holes from the factory there is no need to actually drill any. If you are worried about a hole becoming a "blow torch" going down the track from an engine fire, then you will be incinerated just from all the factory holes without adding any extra holes.

I plugged all the holes...Everyone...Even the two huge vents under the wiper cowl....But there still those holes being used for factory wires, steering wheel and shit.

BluRT00
09-07-2010, 01:11 PM
I plugged all the holes...Everyone...Even the two huge vents under the wiper cowl....But there still those holes being used for factory wires, steering wheel and shit.

Imagine that I did the same thing. :jester: Two or three hours and the old girl fires up again.