PDA

View Full Version : M-1 question

jmaack727
03-30-2008, 03:58 PM
I recently bought a used m1 manifold, however the IAT location on the manifold is filled with a brass plug, and the allen head on the inside is completely rounded off. I let it soak with wd40 since yesterday afternoon after noticing this. But how can i get this thing out? I have never done anything like this before, some one else said drill it out a little smaller than the threads in the manifold then peel the brass out, but i dont want to screw the threads on the manifold itself. Thanks

BTLFED R/T
03-30-2008, 04:04 PM
I recently bought a used m1 manifold, however the IAT location on the manifold is filled with a brass plug, and the allen head on the inside is completely rounded off. I let it soak with wd40 since yesterday afternoon after noticing this. But how can i get this thing out? I have never done anything like this before, some one else said drill it out a little smaller than the threads in the manifold then peel the brass out, but i dont want to screw the threads on the manifold itself. Thanks

Alot of guys don't put the IAT back in that port. Most will thread the sensor into their air intake tube. If you don't want to do that, than yes, you'll have to drill it out. I think you could use an Easy Out.

jmaack727
03-30-2008, 04:07 PM
Alot of guys don't put the IAT back in that port. Most will thread the sensor into their air intake tube. If you don't want to do that, than yes, you'll have to drill it out. I think you could use an Easy Out.

I thought about that, i went and bought new plugs and am going to have it coated so i wanted them out. Plus i dont want to drill a hole in my FIPK. So i will try an easy out, i thought about that but didnt know it would work on brass,. THanks!

slvr03dakrt
03-30-2008, 04:08 PM
an easy out should get it done for you

BTLFED R/T
03-30-2008, 05:11 PM
I thought about that, i went and bought new plugs and am going to have it coated so i wanted them out. Plus i dont want to drill a hole in my FIPK. So i will try an easy out, i thought about that but didnt know it would work on brass,. THanks!

I'm not sure it will work on brass either. It's worth a shot.

99R/TMan
03-30-2008, 06:56 PM
hey what kind of difference is there with the iat in the intake tube instead of the intake manifold? more power? think it has colder air?

BTLFED R/T
03-30-2008, 07:07 PM
hey what kind of difference is there with the iat in the intake tube instead of the intake manifold? more power? think it has colder air?

I don't know about more power, I guess maybe a small fraction. But it does tell the PCM that the air is colder so that it doesn't pull fuel and timing. IIRC

99R/TMan
03-30-2008, 07:11 PM
oh very nice so then i might get 10 miles to the gallon instead of 9:jerkit:

BTLFED R/T
03-30-2008, 07:13 PM
Well, it might help to keep your foot out of it everywhere you go! :jester: But then again, that's no fun!

99R/TMan
03-30-2008, 07:40 PM
i know right.

99R/TMan
03-30-2008, 07:41 PM
the iat in the manifold would make it run rich huh? just doublechecking haha:hail:

jmaack727
03-30-2008, 08:35 PM
Anyone know what size the plug itself is? I hear use a 1/4 inch plug and then to relocate it drill a 1/2 inch whole what gives here?

BTLFED R/T
03-30-2008, 08:50 PM
the iat in the manifold would make it run rich huh? just doublechecking haha:hail:

No I think it makes it run lean.

Trueblue R/T
03-30-2008, 11:01 PM
No I think it makes it run lean.

give the man a wooden nickle that is absolutely right.. and now for some usless trivia the IAT is what the computer uses for the temp gauge on your overhead console..Ever notice how after you have driven for a while and shut the truck off when you get back in it the temp reads high untill you have driven a few minutes,,thats how long it takes for the probe and the surounding metal to cool back down..

Trueblue R/T
03-30-2008, 11:09 PM
Anyone know what size the plug itself is? I hear use a 1/4 inch plug and then to relocate it drill a 1/2 inch whole what gives here?

I believe the plug is 3/8" npt {national pipe thread} which is a little larger than 1/2" on the outside { at the threads}

jmaack727
03-31-2008, 01:59 AM
give the man a wooden nickle that is absolutely right.. and now for some usless trivia the IAT is what the computer uses for the temp gauge on your overhead console..Ever notice how after you have driven for a while and shut the truck off when you get back in it the temp reads high untill you have driven a few minutes,,thats how long it takes for the probe and the surounding metal to cool back down..

Thanks for the size, and the overhead sensor is bolted to the front of the radiator support.

SinCity R/T
03-31-2008, 02:49 AM
The IAT sensor port is 1/4" NPT.

jmaack727
03-31-2008, 04:20 AM
The IAT sensor port is 1/4" NPT.

Thanks alot!

John
03-31-2008, 09:14 PM

yeah like Jmaack said, its on the radiator core support. The reason why it reads hotter after you shut it off is because all the heat soak makes its way to that sensor too.

RTfreak
04-01-2008, 06:00 AM
maybe try PB Blaster if easy out cant help

Nolan
04-01-2008, 06:06 AM
Try using one of these
http://www.4grabit.com/Default.asp?bhcp=1
http://www.4grabit.com/images/image_01.jpg

Nolan