PDA

View Full Version : x-brace fitment

2k1AmberR/T
07-14-2010, 08:42 PM
What are the chances your x-brace for a regular cab would fit with a 5 speed transmission? Does it tie into the factory automatic transmission crossmember? Would it fit without using that crossmember? What if the driveshaft was longer, would there be any potential interference? If you have any pictures (I think Kevin posted some pictures back around December or so but I don't remember taking a good look at them so I'll try to look for them again tonight or ask him on facebook) I'd love to see how tight the fitment is underneath and between the frame rails.

98Dak408
07-14-2010, 09:49 PM
Unfortunately I haven’t had a chance to crawl under a 5 speed Dakota to see what if any differences there are. I assume the transmission crossmember would be the only difference (shape or mounting location) as well as driveshaft length.

The x-brace does connect into the transmission crossmember. Do you have any pics underneath your truck? Is it the automatic crossmember just moved back an inch or so? It may be possible for me to modify the front two x-brace legs to fit your application.

If you have any pics to post or email me at Richard@hi-potek.com I would appreciate it.

ddrango
07-14-2010, 10:56 PM
Unfortunately I haven’t had a chance to crawl under a 5 speed Dakota to see what if any differences there are. I assume the transmission crossmember would be the only difference (shape or mounting location) as well as driveshaft length.

The x-brace does connect into the transmission crossmember. Do you have any pics underneath your truck? Is it the automatic crossmember just moved back an inch or so? It may be possible for me to modify the front two x-brace legs to fit your application.

If you have any pics to post or email me at Richard@hi-potek.com I would appreciate it.

Richard I will be ordering a kit soon! Ahh i can't wait for an x-brace lol

98Dak408
07-15-2010, 03:29 AM
Richard I will be ordering a kit soon! Ahh i can't wait for an x-brace lol

Hey Russ! Sounds good. The x-brace really does make a significant improvement in handling and straight line performance. A guy recently purchased an x-brace, rear driveshaft loop/frame stiffener, and front driveshaft loop for his 600 hp ’99 Dakota CC. He was worried about chassis flex with the amount of power he was putting to the ground. He also picked up an engine torque strap. In addition, he installed Competition Engineering Slide-O-Link traction bars, the same set up I am running on my truck. I only wish I had 600 hp. :)

By the way, congratulations on you Caltrac win. That’s a nice improvement for your vehicle.

ddrango
07-15-2010, 05:18 AM
Hey Russ! Sounds good. The x-brace really does make a significant improvement in handling and straight line performance. A guy recently purchased an x-brace, rear driveshaft loop/frame stiffener, and front driveshaft loop for his 600 hp ’99 Dakota CC. He was worried about chassis flex with the amount of power he was putting to the ground. He also picked up an engine torque strap. In addition, he installed Competition Engineering Slide-O-Link traction bars, the same set up I am running on my truck. I only wish I had 600 hp. :)

By the way, congratulations on you Caltrac win. That’s a nice improvement for your vehicle.

Thanks Richard! I'm excited to combine the caltracs with an xbrace!

dakrt23
07-15-2010, 11:56 AM
What are the chances your x-brace for a regular cab would fit with a 5 speed transmission? Does it tie into the factory automatic transmission crossmember? Would it fit without using that crossmember? What if the driveshaft was longer, would there be any potential interference? If you have any pictures (I think Kevin posted some pictures back around December or so but I don't remember taking a good look at them so I'll try to look for them again tonight or ask him on facebook) I'd love to see how tight the fitment is underneath and between the frame rails.

here you go! let me know if you need more detailed pics as i will be removing xbrace temporarily to swap exhausts for smog when i get home..

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f154/dakrt23/P8140090.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f154/dakrt23/P8110089.jpg

god its been 4 months in europe now without my truck, cant wait to get home and rape that thing...

2k1AmberR/T
07-18-2010, 02:29 AM
Thanks for the pictures Kevin. Looks like you lose a good bit of ground clearance? I'm in the process of swapping exhaust systems so the transmission will fit, once that is done the tranny will go in and then I'll see what I can do about stuffing an x-brace and driveshaft loop under there.

98Dak408
07-18-2010, 04:29 PM
Thanks for the pictures Kevin. Looks like you lose a good bit of ground clearance? I'm in the process of swapping exhaust systems so the transmission will fit, once that is done the tranny will go in and then I'll see what I can do about stuffing an x-brace and driveshaft loop under there.
The hardware at the center of the brace is a total of 2” thick, and a tad more with the bolts protruding down (which is the same depth as the Kenny Brown CC brace). You can mount the bolts so the threads stick up into the undercarriage.

Are you moving the stock auto trans crossmember to make your manual trans fit?

jmaack727
07-18-2010, 04:51 PM
here you go! let me know if you need more detailed pics as i will be removing xbrace temporarily to swap exhausts for smog when i get home..

god its been 4 months in europe now without my truck, cant wait to get home and rape that thing...

I do not see many trucks with an X brace and what looks like GSM exhaust did you have to do anything to get it to fit? I have wanted an xbrace for years now but here is what I am dealing with, I dont know if its just the rubber exhaust hanger stretching or what, I just do not see one being a bolt on.
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i10/jmaack727/2000%20Dakota%20RT/DSC04233.jpg

98Dak408
07-18-2010, 05:46 PM
I do not see many trucks with an X brace and what looks like GSM exhaust did you have to do anything to get it to fit? I have wanted an xbrace for years now but here is what I am dealing with, I dont know if its just the rubber exhaust hanger stretching or what, I just do not see one being a bolt on.I'm sure Kevin will respond when he gets the chance.

From what I recall he adjusted the exhaust and used some ingenuity when installing the x-brace. He mounted the crossmember 180-degrees around which provided more room for his exhaust as well.

Another guy with a Spintech exhaust used a washer between the passenger's side rear x-brace leg mount and the frame for a little additional clearance. As it is, there is 7/8" clearance between the top of the rear x-brace leg and the bottom of the frame rail.

I designed the x-brace to accommodate a variety of exhaust systems and arraignments while providing decent ground clearance along with a structurally sound design. Some adjustment may be necessary if you have mufflers that hang low. In my opinion, the benefits of the x-brace outweigh the possibly having to adjust your exhaust system.

Patrick
03-07-2011, 12:33 AM
So whatever came of this? Richard, do you now know if your RC x-brace would fit a 5 speed truck?

If not, this weekend I'll get pictures of it for you and measurements. Then you can tell me.

98Dak408
03-07-2011, 01:23 PM
So whatever came of this? Richard, do you now know if your RC x-brace would fit a 5 speed truck?

If not, this weekend I'll get pictures of it for you and measurements. Then you can tell me.No Patrick, I still need some pictures and measurements. If you can provide that I will appreciate it.

98Dak408
03-11-2012, 06:13 PM
Tom, aka 70Cuda383, recently confirmed that the 5-speed transmission crossmember is the same as the automatic transmission crossmember. Therefore, the x-brace will fit the 5-speed truck.

Thanks Tom!

blackknight
03-11-2012, 07:17 PM
This things are sexy cant wait to get one!

blackknight
03-12-2012, 03:15 AM
Is this x brace in the pic for the extended cab,auto? i thought they ran from the trans x member to the front of the frame?

Filthy Filbert
03-12-2012, 04:39 PM
Tom, aka 70Cuda383, recently confirmed that the 5-speed transmission crossmember is the same as the automatic transmission crossmember. Therefore, the x-brace will fit the 5-speed truck.

Thanks Tom!

No problem!

Like I said, you can ship the demo unit to:

22675 Buck Allen Dr
Marysville OH 43040

I'll install it and take pictures for everyone to see how they fit on a 5-spd truck:jester:

by the way, intake gaskets and timing set arrived, just need the cam now. NO worries on the intake gaskets being the full kit. they probably don't make just the intake face gaskets without the plenum or rubber end piece gaskets. I'll just have another plenum gasket laying around:jester:

98Dak408
03-12-2012, 05:57 PM
Is this x brace in the pic for the extended cab,auto? i thought they ran from the trans x member to the front of the frame?

I’m not quite sure what you are referring to Ernie, but the front x-brace legs connect the transmission crossmember, right at the frame.

This is the HiPoTek X-Brace, with optional front driveshaft loop, and optional rear drive shaft loop, on a 1998 CC (club cab) Dakota R/T. It utilizes the stock center bearing crossmember, as would the 1997 and 1999 model year. The 2000-2004 Dakota CC would require the kit that supplies a crossmember, since those trucks didn’t come with one.

http://i850.photobucket.com/albums/ab68/98Dak408/P7310016.jpg

These are a few pictures of the HiPoTek X-Brace for a 1997-2004 RC (regular cab) Dakota, courtesy of Kevin, aka dakrt23.

http://i850.photobucket.com/albums/ab68/98Dak408/RCxangle.jpg

http://i850.photobucket.com/albums/ab68/98Dak408/RCside.jpg

98Dak408
03-12-2012, 06:01 PM
I am also putting an A518 tranmission crossmember together for the HiPoTek X-Brace, that utilizes a heavy duty 727 poly trans mount. Dan, aka BluRT00, has the first one for his truck, and my truck will have the second one.

http://i850.photobucket.com/albums/ab68/98Dak408/P11600282.jpg

http://i850.photobucket.com/albums/ab68/98Dak408/PC250031.jpg

http://i850.photobucket.com/albums/ab68/98Dak408/PC250033.jpg

sunike32
03-12-2012, 09:02 PM
Awesome work Richard!

98Dak408
03-12-2012, 09:07 PM
Awesome work Richard! Thanks Andrew!

blackknight
03-12-2012, 09:40 PM
Ok, yea my question was that if the one that Dakrt23 had was for our cc truck but i guess i should have.looked at his sig pic! do you have a pic of how it mounts on the front, i will have to look on mine to see low my exhaust hangs also for clearance issues before getting one!

98Dak408
03-12-2012, 10:31 PM
Ok, yea my question was that if the one that Dakrt23 had was for our cc truck but i guess i should have.looked at his sig pic! do you have a pic of how it mounts on the front, i will have to look on mine to see low my exhaust hangs also for clearance issues before getting one!

http://i850.photobucket.com/albums/ab68/98Dak408/P53000592.jpg

dakrt23
03-13-2012, 03:15 PM
my spintech true dual initially hit the x-brace but i took it to an exhaust shop and had them modify the hangers and it was all good from there.