PDA

View Full Version : hotchkis and caltracs

fastdodgert
03-27-2008, 04:51 AM
doe anyone run both of them together? is it even possible?

BTLFED R/T
03-27-2008, 04:59 AM

Yes, many have and do. :biggthumpup: Just gotta watch those speed bumps.

GoFastGray
03-27-2008, 05:32 AM
To make a short story long....

My first dak (V6 slt) I lowered it with bilstein/djm's kit and toxic shocks...threw on some 22's and it was like riding a forklift.

Got R/T.... felt like a caddy!!! It was a great ride. I then added a hotchkis drop and the ride got stiff. Couple months later I got bilstein shocks for it and it was pretty damn close to the feel of the stock ride. And shortly after getting the Bilsteins, I got caltracs.
It isn't a horrible ride, but is just "bouncy". The front feels fine, but the rear is stiff. Around corners it slips every now and then (not bad, but expected).
After I put the caltracs on I had to try them out behind the dealership. I was pretty damn impressed how well they hooked on my Kuhmo's w/17's. Still spun a little, but far better than stock.

You will need longer U-bolts! I got mine from http://www.stengelbros.com/U-bolts.htm
Was about $26 + shipping for two sets (4 u-bolts)
I can't remember the size of the top of my head. PM me and i'll check for ya if you wish.
Oh, and paint the U-bolts before putting them on. Mine rusted pretty quick :jester:

fastdodgert
03-27-2008, 06:03 AM
is your truck lowered at all? or do you just need the longer u bolts for the caltracs. i had some made for lowering blocks, but idont think im gonnaput them on. i think im just gonna get some hotchkis lowering springs too when i order the sway bar kit

fastdodgert
03-27-2008, 06:05 AM
by the way, where did you get your caltracs? i heard moesperformance, and socal has them, and that you can order them directly from calvert, bu who else has em?

GoFastGray
03-27-2008, 06:13 AM
is your truck lowered at all? or do you just need the longer u bolts for the caltracs. i had some made for lowering blocks, but idont think im gonnaput them on. i think im just gonna get some hotchkis lowering springs too when i order the sway bar kit.

By the way, where did you get your caltracs? i heard moesperformance, and socal has them, and that you can order them directly from calvert, bu who else has em?

My truck is lowered with the hotchkis suspension kit. Longer U bolts are needed (and not provided) with the caltracs (i think when running caltracs + hotchkis leafs) There are also two versions of the traction bars. One for lowered daks, and one for stock height. I think i still have an inch of thread under the nuts. Probably not enough with 1" blocks added to my package.
I got mine off ebay. Guy sold his truck and parts he got for it. Got them NEW for a steal :woot:
I believe chad sells them?? But the other three sell them as well.

fastdodgert
03-27-2008, 06:18 AM
so you just have the hotchkis leafs then. im gonna go with those, a 1 inch block and the caltracs. i have the u bolts already, kind of long, but i can trim em if i need to. im just gonna throw some djm 2 lowering coils on the front.BTW good place to get the bilstein shocks?

GoFastGray
03-27-2008, 06:24 AM
so you just have the hotchkis leafs then. im gonna go with those, a 1 inch block and the caltracs. i have the u bolts already, kind of long, but i can trim em if i need to. im just gonna throw some djm 2 lowering coils on the front. BTW good place to get the bilstein shocks?

Yea, just hotchkis set-up, + Bilstiens.

Oh...got them NEW on ebay as well :laughing: I think those two items and my clear corners are the only EBAY items on my truck.

I hope your gonna run smaller tires up front with a 2" drop :goodluck:

fastdodgert
03-27-2008, 06:30 AM
im runnin 255/60/17s but im waitin to see whats the deal with the group buy on the 20" r/ts so ii probably run 255/40/20 or 255/35/20 on the front. if i cant get the 20s then im gonna run 255/50/17s, unless my tires i have now fit with little or no rubbing

Hugh Jassole
03-27-2008, 12:30 PM

I'm in the middle of an install now. You just need to buy the shorter front mounts, and you're good to go.

Hugh Jassole
03-27-2008, 12:32 PM
To make a short story long....

My first dak (V6 slt) I lowered it with bilstein/djm's kit and toxic shocks...threw on some 22's and it was like riding a forklift.

Got R/T.... felt like a caddy!!! It was a great ride. I then added a hotchkis drop and the ride got stiff. Couple months later I got bilstein shocks for it and it was pretty damn close to the feel of the stock ride. And shortly after getting the Bilsteins, I got caltracs.
It isn't a horrible ride, but is just "bouncy". The front feels fine, but the rear is stiff. Around corners it slips every now and then (not bad, but expected).
After I put the caltracs on I had to try them out behind the dealership. I was pretty damn impressed how well they hooked on my Kuhmo's w/17's. Still spun a little, but far better than stock.

You will need longer U-bolts! I got mine from http://www.stengelbros.com/U-bolts.htm
Was about $26 + shipping for two sets (4 u-bolts)
I can't remember the size of the top of my head. PM me and i'll check for ya if you wish.
Oh, and paint the U-bolts before putting them on. Mine rusted pretty quick :jester:
Funny, my stock u-bolts are plenty long enough. Go figure.

fastdodgert
03-27-2008, 02:43 PM
I'm in the middle of an install now. You just need to buy the shorter front mounts, and you're good to go.

shorter front mounts for the caltracs?

mtlcafan79
03-27-2008, 03:00 PM
That's the only difference. The regular ones have two holes, the lowered ones only have one. The bracket is shorter so you don't scrape them.

fastdodgert
03-27-2008, 03:10 PM
so i would just get the caltracs for lowered trucks

99R/TMan
03-27-2008, 03:31 PM
with caltracs and drop kit. watch out those bumps hit hard!!!!!!!!!!:goodluck:

Hugh Jassole
03-27-2008, 03:58 PM
so i would just get the caltracs for lowered trucks

yes, and make sure to tell yem that you have an R/T. The u-bolt hole spacing is wider on the R/T specific ones

GoFastGray
03-27-2008, 06:56 PM
Funny, my stock u-bolts are plenty long enough. Go figure.

mine were long enought to get some of the nut threaded. I wanted enough thread under the nut for a piece of mind. :biggthumpup:

SinCity R/T
03-27-2008, 07:55 PM
My Black 03 CC R/T had (still does - I just don't own it anymore) a Hotchkis suspension, Caltracs for lowered vehicles, and 27" rear tires (255/35-20). I never scraped the suspension at all, and did not have any significant issues with the ride of the vehicle. Yes it'll be bumpy, but that's a given with Hotchkis & low-profile tires.

Hugh Jassole
03-27-2008, 07:56 PM
mine were long enought to get some of the nut threaded. I wanted enough thread under the nut for a piece of mind. :biggthumpup:

I understand what you meant. I could thread 3 nuts onto my u-bolts, that's how much longer they are.

GoFastGray
03-27-2008, 08:36 PM
I understand what you meant. I could thread 3 nuts onto my u-bolts, that's how much longer they are.

they are about an inch longer. maybe two nuts :jester: but better than half a nut imo.

Oh...and only time i scraped my caltracs was getting onto a 16' carson trailer with 4' ramps.
New trailer (18') and building 5' ramps :woot:

fastdodgert
03-28-2008, 01:56 AM
ok. thanks for the help guys

NH_TAZ
03-28-2008, 08:27 AM

I do on my truck but like Jason said, you have to watch out for speed bumps. I am running the same set up as most, Hotchkis w/ Bilsteins and Caltracs!

fastdodgert
04-04-2008, 05:27 AM
hey NH taz, what front bumper is that on your truck

RyanH360
04-04-2008, 06:00 AM
hey NH taz, what front bumper is that on your truck

It's the ever so popular street scene (gen 2 I think) bumper cover. They are very nice and I think his truck looks amazing.

dakota-boy
04-04-2008, 08:43 PM
anyone have pics of the caltracs installed on your truck with hotchkis?

rattler360
04-05-2008, 01:56 AM
so you need longer u bolts to install the catracs with the hotchkis a qa-1 shocks

Hugh Jassole
04-07-2008, 12:23 PM
anyone have pics of the caltracs installed on your truck with hotchkis?

give me a week or so, and i will

NH_TAZ
04-08-2008, 05:29 AM
It is the street scene front bumper.

NH_TAZ
04-08-2008, 05:30 AM
It's the ever so popular street scene (gen 2 I think) bumper cover. They are very nice and I think his truck looks amazing.

You are right and thanks for the compliment.

fastdodgert
04-08-2008, 06:33 AM
yeah that bumper looks soo awesome.... thats gonna have to be the one i go with... and what body kit is that?

NH_TAZ
04-11-2008, 05:40 AM
yeah that bumper looks soo awesome.... thats gonna have to be the one i go with... and what body kit is that?

The body kit is actually side skirts that I bought from GS motorsports way back when. You can get them from Todd on here, I think. They are the perfect addition to the truck.