PDA

View Full Version : Suspension help!!!!

tha professor
06-28-2010, 04:45 PM
I just recently purchased my 99 Dak R/T and the front end pops while turning in a parking lot. I am pretty sure my ball joints are shot and I noticed that virtually every bushing is dry rotted. Do they sell bushing sets that would replace all or do I have to buy them individually? How hard are the ball joints to replace?

thx

sunike32
06-28-2010, 06:32 PM
I just recently purchased my 99 Dak R/T and the front end pops while turning in a parking lot. I am pretty sure my ball joints are shot and I noticed that virtually every bushing is dry rotted. Do they sell bushing sets that would replace all or do I have to buy them individually? How hard are the ball joints to replace?

thx

Yes, Energy Suspension makes great polyurethane control arm bushings for our trucks; part number 5-3122R (red) or 5-3122G (black). I bought mine off Amazon.com as they were the cheapest. Make sure you use lots and lots of the correct grease to avoid squeaks. The lowers are going to be the hardest and will likely require a hydraulic press to get them installed (make sure you support between the "ears" on the CA so they don't bend. On the uppers you need to re-use the bushing's metal sleeve, so I suggest you either burn out the old bushings or take a drill and drill lots of holes in the rubber until you can get it out.

The ball joints can be a PITA to remove, but if you have a good set of drill bits and a grinder (some use a chisel too, but I didn't) then you can make somewhat quick work of it. I ground the heads off each side of the rivet and then started with a small drill bit and progressed up in size until the rivet fell right out. I chose to use MOOG ball joints, but any greaseable ball joint should be okay.

Here are some pictures from when I did mine last year: http://www.dakota-durango.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84463

(In those pictures I had the lower ball joint installed upside down, so don't copy how it looks :nana:)

Addicted2Blue00
06-28-2010, 06:45 PM
all depends how good are you with tools. the balljoints are too hard, i replaced my uppers n lowers, hit the top of the head with a grinder to make a flat spot then drill down the center to the control arm then hit with a air chisel, the bushins ya may want to take the arms off and take to a shop, interested in replacin the shocks?

tha professor
06-28-2010, 07:13 PM
Yes, Energy Suspension makes great polyurethane control arm bushings for our trucks; part number 5-3122R (red) or 5-3122G (black). I bought mine off Amazon.com as they were the cheapest. Make sure you use lots and lots of the correct grease to avoid squeaks. The lowers are going to be the hardest and will likely require a hydraulic press to get them installed (make sure you support between the "ears" on the CA so they don't bend. On the uppers you need to re-use the bushing's metal sleeve, so I suggest you either burn out the old bushings or take a drill and drill lots of holes in the rubber until you can get it out.

The ball joints can be a PITA to remove, but if you have a good set of drill bits and a grinder (some use a chisel too, but I didn't) then you can make somewhat quick work of it. I ground the heads off each side of the rivet and then started with a small drill bit and progressed up in size until the rivet fell right out. I chose to use MOOG ball joints, but any greaseable ball joint should be okay.

Here are some pictures from when I did mine last year: http://www.dakota-durango.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84463

(In those pictures I had the lower ball joint installed upside down, so don't copy how it looks :nana:)

Amazon has the bushing set for $44.85 and that includes all of the bushings? If so, that is a good deal. How often do you have to grease them?

sunike32
06-28-2010, 07:15 PM
Amazon has the bushing set for $44.85 and that includes all of the bushings? If so, that is a good deal. How often do you have to grease them?

Unfortunately the bushings aren't greaseable after they're on the truck. You just need to load them up with grease before you put them on. I forget what I paid for them, but at the time I did it Amazon was the cheapest. And yeah, the part # I gave you is for the complete set: upper and lower control arm bushings.

tha professor
06-28-2010, 07:52 PM
all depends how good are you with tools. the balljoints are too hard, i replaced my uppers n lowers, hit the top of the head with a grinder to make a flat spot then drill down the center to the control arm then hit with a air chisel, the bushins ya may want to take the arms off and take to a shop, interested in replacin the shocks?

I might consider the shocks with lowering springs down the road, but I need to fix the big problems first.

tha professor
06-28-2010, 07:55 PM
Unfortunately the bushings aren't greaseable after they're on the truck. You just need to load them up with grease before you put them on. I forget what I paid for them, but at the time I did it Amazon was the cheapest. And yeah, the part # I gave you is for the complete set: upper and lower control arm bushings.

You never have to regrease them? Recommended grease for them?

hskr
06-28-2010, 08:14 PM
The ES bushings will come with rease, and you should never have to regrease them. For the ball joints, the uppers are easy. Grind the head of the rivit off, then use a BFH(big effing hammer) to knock the ball joint off the control arm. No need to use a drill on the uppers. The lowers you WILL have to drill out.

tha professor
06-28-2010, 08:30 PM
Is this Energy Suspension bushing kit for the entire front or is it just one side?

sunike32
06-28-2010, 08:42 PM
The part # I gave you is for the complete set: upper and lower control arm bushings...both sides too.

Adobedude
06-28-2010, 09:14 PM
What happened to the recalls...?

Dodge Dealer did mine for free.

tha professor
06-28-2010, 09:18 PM
I think the recall was for 2000+ and my truck is a 99.