PDA

View Full Version : Standalone and factory gauges

dinkerson
06-21-2010, 04:33 AM
Hello new to the club and already asking questions lol. I have a 2000 R/T that I built a 408 for with a procharger and other goodies. I wired in a FAST XFI and was wondering if anyone has any info on how to make the factory gauges work with it? I would like to keep them if possible just to keep the truck as low key as possible. Thanks.

stevenz1inoc
06-21-2010, 05:53 AM
Hello new to the club and already asking questions lol. I have a 2000 R/T that I built a 408 for with a procharger and other goodies. I wired in a FAST XFI and was wondering if anyone has any info on how to make the factory gauges work with it? I would like to keep them if possible just to keep the truck as low key as possible. Thanks.

I hate to say it but ditch the fast and go with the SCT programmer. The fast was great in its day when we had no way to custom tune but now with the SCT and a 2 bar map you can do anything you want and keep you gauges and everything else.

Rtspeeddemon
06-21-2010, 11:56 AM
I hate to say it but ditch the fast and go with the SCT programmer. The fast was great in its day when we had no way to custom tune but now with the SCT and a 2 bar map you can do anything you want and keep you gauges and everything else.

Are you kidding me? FAST can do 10 times more than an SCT set-up.

There is a way to use the factory guages all of mine work with my Accel DFI.

mtlcafan79
06-21-2010, 12:25 PM
Yeah, the old FAST stuff wasn't anything special. The current XFI stuff however is a good setup. SCT works for boost to an extent, but a standalone is gonna give you way more resolution to work with.

White Turbo
06-21-2010, 04:59 PM
Agreed....

FAST "XFI" is comparable to Accel DFI in every respect.

Way more options than SCT.

To answer your question directly... I'm not aware of anyone on this board that runs the FAST system. I have Accel DFI, and I run a combination of factory and aftermarket gauges with it.
So I'm sure it can be done with the FAST system as well.

GrimRT
06-21-2010, 05:12 PM
I had all my gauges working with DFI. No issues.

dinkerson
06-21-2010, 07:26 PM
Thanks for the input, I have yet to drive the thing having other issues, but the two gauges that don't seem to work are the tach and temp gauge.

Five9Dak
06-21-2010, 07:54 PM
I'm just here to LOL @ the SCT comment.

Also most standalone users in the dakota world have some form of a parallel installation or a completely new gauge cluster.

Do you still have the crank sensor going to the original pcm? Does the XFI have a tach out signal gen?

GrimRT
06-21-2010, 09:03 PM
Agreed....

FAST "XFI" is comparable to Accel DFI in every respect.

Way more options than SCT.

To answer your question directly... I'm not aware of anyone on this board that runs the FAST system. I have Accel DFI, and I run a combination of factory and aftermarket gauges with it.
So I'm sure it can be done with the FAST system as well.

Thanks for the input, I have yet to drive the thing having other issues, but the two gauges that don't seem to work are the tach and temp gauge.

You need to use both the temp sensors, one for the standalone and one for the PCM.

dinkerson
06-22-2010, 12:44 PM

Also most standalone users in the dakota world have some form of a parallel installation or a completely new gauge cluster.

Do you still have the crank sensor going to the original pcm? Does the XFI have a tach out signal gen?

I do still have the crank sensor hooked to the pcm yes. I will have to look at the xfi as for a tach output. My MSD does but I think they use a different format.

dinkerson
06-22-2010, 12:46 PM
You need to use both the temp sensors, one for the standalone and one for the PCM.

I just notcied you are from Calgary. I am just outside Red Deer. Did Toma do the tuning on your truck? He had told me he worked a few in the past.

GrimRT
06-22-2010, 02:46 PM
I just notcied you are from Calgary. I am just outside Red Deer. Did Toma do the tuning on your truck? He had told me he worked a few in the past.

Yup, he has tuned it a couple of times.

stevenz1inoc
06-22-2010, 10:57 PM

Why laugh at it? It works right? But I will agree if he is going that extreme then He should look at a stand alone.

I dont know what all he has done or how extreme he wants to get. Obviously he does need to do more than the SCT will let him but I'm nto a mind reader so maybe he should have said so.

stevenz1inoc
06-22-2010, 11:00 PM
Are you kidding me? FAST can do 10 times more than an SCT set-up.

There is a way to use the factory guages all of mine work with my Accel DFI.

Well I guess from what I just read about this new fast setup, yeah it's better. I havent seen anyone on our forums running a stand alone in a long time so had no idea there was something better than the original fast system people use to complain about when it came to tuning with our trucks.

White Turbo
06-23-2010, 12:10 AM
Well I guess from what I just read about this new fast setup, yeah it's better. I havent seen anyone on our forums running a stand alone in a long time so had no idea there was something better than the original fast system people use to complain about when it came to tuning with our trucks.

I think you probly just heard from the majority of stand alone owners on this forum in the above posts:jester:

Actually FAST XFI came out just after Accel introduced the Gen 7.
They had to,,, to keep up with the competition from Accel.

It's fairly comparable to Gen 7,, but a little less user friendly than Accel IMHO.

FAST seems to be a bit more popular in Canada than here. And there aren't too many FAST tuners for Dakotas around our forum.

White Turbo
06-23-2010, 12:13 AM

Who is Toma??

I got a buddy who lives in High River that could use his help.

Five9Dak
06-23-2010, 12:32 AM

Ah, I don't remember hearing about all those problems. Everyone who is running any sort of standalone now seems to be really pleased with it. I'll praise SCT to the moon and back- for NA and nitrous trucks. It's a hack for boosted stuff, no way around it. That doesn't mean it doesn't work, there was plenty of stuff that "worked" for 7ish years before SCT came out.

stevenz1inoc
06-23-2010, 01:39 AM
I think you probly just heard from the majority of stand alone owners on this forum in the above posts:jester:

Actually FAST XFI came out just after Accel introduced the Gen 7.
They had to,,, to keep up with the competition from Accel.

It's fairly comparable to Gen 7,, but a little less user friendly than Accel IMHO.

FAST seems to be a bit more popular in Canada than here. And there aren't too many FAST tuners for Dakotas around our forum.

Actually, my old info was more from the delphi forum many years back, I've been around a while, lol. But I do know it was the old system so I really had no clue there was a better one out. Glad to hear it works though. Not that I will ever need it. :)

stevenz1inoc
06-23-2010, 01:44 AM
Ah, I don't remember hearing about all those problems. Everyone who is running any sort of standalone now seems to be really pleased with it. I'll praise SCT to the moon and back- for NA and nitrous trucks. It's a hack for boosted stuff, no way around it. That doesn't mean it doesn't work, there was plenty of stuff that "worked" for 7ish years before SCT came out.

I think for the guys like me in CA, with the smog Nazi's, The SCT is great so long as we are not going to the extreme. Someday I will have my Vortec on the truck, although I have no idea when! I just want a nice 8lbs of boost and I will be more than happy.

I know, everyone says they just want a little and then they want more, lol, but I really would be very happy with a nice streetable 8lbs, and a strong motor to take the abuse.

GrimRT
06-23-2010, 01:49 AM
Who is Toma??

http://www.dynomotive.ca/

One of the best in Calgary, and the most affordable. He is sometimes difficult to get pinned down to tune for you, but its well worth it. He only works evenings and some weekends. All in all a great guy.

GrimRT
06-23-2010, 01:51 AM
Who is Toma??

What is he looking to get done. I know a few other guys here as well.

dinkerson
06-23-2010, 02:09 AM
http://www.dynomotive.ca/

One of the best in Calgary, and the most affordable. He is sometimes difficult to get pinned down to tune for you, but its well worth it. He only works evenings and some weekends. All in all a great guy.

He did a great job with my brother's honda. 360 hp @only 15psi boost and idles like a stocker. The car ran 12.70 last weekend in Edmonton with my brother blowing shifts all night lol.

SB440R/T
06-23-2010, 02:20 AM

I would like to think it pretty good for the boosted application.

White Turbo
06-23-2010, 03:31 AM
Actually, my old info was more from the delphi forum many years back, I've been around a while, lol. But I do know it was the old system so I really had no clue there was a better one out. Glad to hear it works though. Not that I will ever need it. :)

:jester: Yeah,, I'm old school too!

Yes,,, I remember the complaints about the old FAST system on Delphi and Yahoo. It left a lot to be desired back then.

White Turbo
06-23-2010, 03:35 AM
What is he looking to get done. I know a few other guys here as well.

He runs the FAST XFI system with a S/C....

I was just wondering if he knew of this guy.

Thanks for the link Jon!

Five9Dak
06-23-2010, 11:01 AM
I would like to think it pretty good for the boosted application.

If you tried a standalone you'd never be back. (so don't if you don't want to spend anymore money) But opinions are like assholes.

mtlcafan79
06-23-2010, 11:37 AM
So how's your standalone running?

SB440R/T
06-23-2010, 11:54 AM
If you tried a standalone you'd never be back. (so don't if you don't want to spend anymore money) But opinions are like assholes.

Maybe...

Five9Dak
06-23-2010, 12:02 PM
It runs real nice underneath my bed, while I lament how shitty the JTEC is and wish I had my blower back on. I passed inspection while it was off, and I have since ran the JTEC with multiple injector channels disconnected and no injector CELs, so next year it can pass on the standalone. It's not going back on till I get a DD.

I knew that was comming, hehe.

In other news, In a little bit I have to pull out a broken 4.6 2v from a mustang that had an email blower tune on a non boost aware ecu. I want all the control I can get.