PDA

View Full Version : how long does methanol last?

PeteRT
06-11-2010, 12:39 AM
trying to devise a clever way to integrate my meth injection & figure out what size tank to get... i realize how much is used is dependent on how i set the controller up... but, how much of this stuff is used, say- in a 1/4 mile pass?

right now, i'm thinking of a catch can but i'm not sure if the standard size will be sufficient. i don't mind filling the thing up every time i drive it, which isn't much. but, i do want one big enough to not worry about running out if i decide to play around on the 1 hour drive to the track....

idunno---- ideas?

pete

Sick 660r
06-11-2010, 12:59 AM
FWIW I only picked up 3-4hp and using meth. I dont run it....

Bad_Banana
06-11-2010, 01:04 AM
Why not consider the washer fluid tank? It already has a sensor to let you know when fluid is low. If you use your washer fluid a lot for the windshield, of course disregard this concept.

kota360
06-11-2010, 01:31 AM
When you ask,"How long does Methanol last", what do you mean. If you have it in a container that is vented to the open air, it will absorb moisture from the air and eventually be no good. It needs to be in a sealed container to stay potent.

PeteRT
06-11-2010, 03:20 AM
Why not consider the washer fluid tank? It already has a sensor to let you know when fluid is low. If you use your washer fluid a lot for the windshield, of course disregard this concept.

lol- i don't have wipers... & i sure as shit aint putting that ugly tank under my pretty hood. ;-)

pete

PeteRT
06-11-2010, 03:23 AM
When you ask,"How long does Methanol last", what do you mean. If you have it in a container that is vented to the open air, it will absorb moisture from the air and eventually be no good. It needs to be in a sealed container to stay potent.

what i meant was: how much is used when the system is running. i don't want to get too small of a tank, to run out at half track. at the same time, i don't want to have a big ass tank sloshing around all the time.

pete

Bad_Banana
06-11-2010, 03:24 AM
Didn't know you removed it, that explains all. Good luck.

PeteRT
06-11-2010, 03:24 AM

i already have it, so i figure why not--- can't hurt.

+ i could also plumb it in as faux nitrous, lmao- really blow peoples minds!

pete

SB440R/T
06-11-2010, 03:25 AM
My liter bottle or whatever comes with the snow performance kit last about 6-8 1/4 blast, have it set to come on at 5psi. So pretty much spraying the whole run.

Bad_Banana
06-11-2010, 03:27 AM
My liter bottle or whatever comes with the snow performance kit last about 6-8 1/4 blast, have it set to come on at 5psi. So pretty much spraying the whole run.

Depending on the temps, it doesn't need to turn on until the 6 psi mark, or around 3.6 bar on a 5.0 map. You could always find a way to relocate the tank sensor from the washer fluid to a new tank.

PeteRT
06-11-2010, 03:29 AM
Didn't know you removed it, that explains all. Good luck.

ya, i (re)moved just about everything... PDC is next. i'm fighting the urge to move it now. i was lookin the other day and i think i could get away with only having to lengthen about 20 wires... most of the harness can be flipped back on itself and into the cab..... but that's a whole 'nuther thread, coming soon probably, lol.

pete

SB440R/T
06-11-2010, 03:32 AM
Depending on the temps, it doesn't need to turn on until the 6 psi mark, or around 3.6 bar on a 5.0 map. You could always find a way to relocate the tank sensor from the washer fluid to a new tank.

Did you mean to direct that toward me? Mine turns on at 5psi, its set like that, temps don't have anything to do with it. Mine is more of a safeguard vs a performance enhancer

PeteRT
06-11-2010, 03:32 AM
You could always find a way to relocate the tank sensor from the washer fluid to a new tank.

i like that idea! too bad i'll never be able to find my stock wires for that low level dealio- them bitches are buried forever!

pete

mtlcafan79
06-11-2010, 04:08 AM

You also run 12's on 700rwhp so why should we listen to you? :jester:

KTK00R/T
06-11-2010, 05:39 AM
You also run 12's on 700rwhp so why should we listen to you? :jester:

:laughing:

GoFastGray
06-11-2010, 05:54 AM
I'm using the stock 97-99 washer fluid tank in the corner. It holds close to a gallon.
With stock Vortech pulley, I set the meth to start at 3psi and full pressure at 8psi.

I can make a good 20 passes w/o going through the gallon. And when I'm on the street...i'm not at WOT/8psi to suck the juice down. It goes a long ways on the street.

Right now I get Snow's Boost Juice. 51% water/49% meth. I use it for cooling the air charge mainly. After talking to some meth injection companies...i'm leaning towards 100% water for an even cooler air charge.

emwhiteR/T
06-11-2010, 01:08 PM
Right now I get Snow's Boost Juice. 51% water/49% meth. I use it for cooling the air charge mainly. After talking to some meth injection companies...i'm leaning towards 100% water for an even cooler air charge.

From the days of science class in high school, water has the best heat distribution properties but it has two weaknesses.

So direct inject water in to your motor? (Forgive my lack of knowledge of methanol use on a motor)

GoFastGray
06-11-2010, 03:11 PM
From the days of science class in high school, water has the best heat distribution properties but it has two weaknesses.

So direct inject water in to your motor? (Forgive my lack of knowledge of methanol use on a motor)

He has info on his site. I think it was something along the lines of "thesuperchargerstore.com" He is supposed to have the best meth kits available due to the spray nozzles he uses. They are high tech vs the standard ones in everyone's kits.
He kept going on about Jay Leno using water in his kits, problems he's seen with methanol being used, and all the sucess from 100% water. There was also a magnum srt8 running his kit at the event.