PDA

View Full Version : super charger keeps blowing my seal out!

bfranzel
06-02-2010, 01:06 AM
what do you guys with super chargers andturbos do to keep this from happening? every time i put it on it gets blown out!!!

White Turbo
06-02-2010, 01:11 AM
what do you guys with super chargers andturbos do to keep this from happening? every time i put it on it gets blown out!!!

There are a hard gaskets that you can get to replace the rubber one.

EDIT: You can barely see it in my sig pic, but it's the grayish looking gasket.

BryanRT360
06-02-2010, 01:12 AM

try to "glue" it on... rtv or similar

bfranzel
06-02-2010, 01:13 AM
There are a hard gaskets that you can get to replace the rubber one.

where do i get them? do you have a pn? shouldnt be to expensive.

bfranzel
06-02-2010, 01:14 AM
try to "glue" it on... rtv or similar

to much money wrapped up in that set up to rtv or glue it. that would be a last resort!

KicknAsphlt
06-02-2010, 01:15 AM
I've bought one of those cheap paper/fiber gaskets then coated it with 'The Right Stuff'....never had any problems with that one. But as Ed said, there is a gasket that FelPro makes that is a rubber gasket that has a metal core.

bfranzel
06-02-2010, 01:17 AM
I've bought one of those cheap paper/fiber gaskets then coated it with 'The Right Stuff'....never had any problems with that one. But as Ed said, there is a gasket that FelPro makes that is a rubber gasket that has a metal core.

that sounds like it would work!

GrimRT
06-02-2010, 01:22 AM
that sounds like it would work!

yup, you need the one with the metal core. It has a sticky, glued side, as well.

White Turbo
06-02-2010, 01:23 AM
where do i get them? do you have a pn? shouldnt be to expensive.

Sorry, it's been so long ago I can't remember where I got it. Maybe Fel-pro?

I want to say it's a phenolic material that it's made from, but I'm not sure about that either.
I'm sure others use the same gasket though.

Maybe check with Fel-pro or whoever makes your air hat.

bfranzel
06-02-2010, 01:27 AM
Sorry, it's been so long ago I can't remember where I got it. Maybe Fel-pro?

I want to say it's a phenolic material that it's made from, but I'm not sure about that either.
I'm sure others use the same gasket though.

Maybe check with Fel-pro or whoever makes your air hat.

thats just a vortecair hat. not the best design but for now it sort of works. it even blew the rubber out when i roasted my head gaskets on the dyno.

Duner
06-02-2010, 01:37 AM
thats just a vortecair hat. not the best design but for now it sort of works. it even blew the rubber out when i roasted my head gaskets on the dyno.

What are you using for a hold-down?

bfranzel
06-02-2010, 01:42 AM
What are you using for a hold-down?

on the air hat? the nut that f&b gave me with my 58 mm tb. these guys are making sense with a metal core seal, i just need to know where to find one. my rubber seal was wrapped around my tb after my dyno! and it didnt even make it to 5000 rpm!!!! had it made it to 5500 or 6000 then it probably would have been wrapped around the motor!

mtlcafan79
06-02-2010, 01:43 AM
Look up the Fel Pro 2104 gasket.

bfranzel
06-02-2010, 01:48 AM
Look up the Fel Pro 2104 gasket.

if thats the right one ill orde rit now!

Sick 660r
06-02-2010, 01:56 AM
to much money wrapped up in that set up to rtv or glue it. that would be a last resort!

last resort??? Silicone was my fist attempt and it worked perfect. The thing is stuck on there good and I never had to pay for a gasket.

bfranzel
06-02-2010, 02:05 AM
last resort??? Silicone was my fist attempt and it worked perfect. The thing is stuck on there good and I never had to pay for a gasket.

thats kind of a last resort. if i can find the right gasket id rather do it that way. i dont really want to cake a bunch of rtv on a $500 plus dollar throttle body! if the pn that mtlcafan posted is the right gasket for the 58mm f&b then id rather go that route. if i cant find something then thats last resort.

Sick 660r
06-02-2010, 02:50 AM
thats kind of a last resort. if i can find the right gasket id rather do it that way. i dont really want to cake a bunch of rtv on a $500 plus dollar throttle body! if the pn that mtlcafan posted is the right gasket for the 58mm f&b then id rather go that route. if i cant find something then thats last resort.

it only takes a razor blade to get off and you dont even see it. But hey do whatever floats your boat lol

Five9Dak
06-02-2010, 09:22 PM
http://www.techshop.ws/images/tig_welding_sbu.jpg

bfranzel
06-02-2010, 09:31 PM
http://www.techshop.ws/images/tig_welding_sbu.jpg

looks like some dude welding on a bike frame wtf does that have to do with the seal?

BryanRT360
06-02-2010, 09:39 PM
he's saying weld that mother fucker down:jester:

bfranzel
06-02-2010, 09:41 PM
he's saying weld that mother fucker down:jester:

when he posts a pic of his welded airhat then i will consider it:jester:

Duner
06-02-2010, 09:59 PM
Using 4 bolts instead of the single center bolt works for me.

For a gasket I use magnetic sign material. It's basically metallized rubber. Basically impervious to heat and just barely compresses for a good seal. I've been using the same gasket for 3 years and have had the intercooler/airhat off and on about 100 times in that period of time.

tcuillier
06-02-2010, 10:11 PM
looks like some dude welding on a bike frame wtf does that have to do with the seal?

Geez, we've got a thread on this forum and one on the Delphi forum related to blowing seals. The following may be old, but maybe it will help you out---

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUabDrfjATY

Tom

bfranzel
06-02-2010, 10:27 PM

For a gasket I use magnetic sign material. It's basically metallized rubber. Basically impervious to heat and just barely compresses for a good seal. I've been using the same gasket for 3 years and have had the intercooler/airhat off and on about 100 times in that period of time.

thats not a bad idea! alot better then silicone:jester:

bfranzel
06-02-2010, 10:33 PM

any pics of what you used to make 4 bolts?

BluRT00
06-02-2010, 11:00 PM
any pics of what you used to make 4 bolts?

Dude I don't see how you will need 4 bolts with your setup. LOL Duner is a different story. :jester:

Sick 660r
06-03-2010, 03:12 AM
thats not a bad idea! alot better then silicone:jester:

laugh all you want. Its on there better then you think and you dont even see a gasket. Dont have to waste time trimming the gasket either.

Edit: Ignore all my comments. For some reason I thought we were talking about the tb gasket not the air hat gasket. FWIW mine is o-ringed and have I have no issues.

bfranzel
06-03-2010, 08:39 PM
laugh all you want. Its on there better then you think and you dont even see a gasket. Dont have to waste time trimming the gasket either.

Edit: Ignore all my comments. For some reason I thought we were talking about the tb gasket not the air hat gasket. FWIW mine is o-ringed and have I have no issues.

o-ringed, aftermarket air hat?

bfranzel
06-03-2010, 09:43 PM

i can see using silicone for the tb to intake. but the air hat comes off to much to do it there. i had thought about putting a bead on the tb and letting it dry, then putting the air hat on. but id realy like that to be the last resort. im going to measure the tb and see if the part number mtlcafan posted will fit. i know the stock tb and the 58mm f&b have different diamiters. sticky back and metal core gasket:biggthumpup:

Sick 660r
06-03-2010, 09:46 PM
o-ringed, aftermarket air hat?

yeah extreme velocity

bfranzel
06-03-2010, 09:49 PM
yeah extreme velocity

does that fit the factory charge pipe or did you have to change the charge pipe also? i might go that route(the square air hat imo isnt that efficient)

Sick 660r
06-03-2010, 09:54 PM
does that fit the factory charge pipe or did you have to change the charge pipe also? i might go that route(the square air hat imo isnt that efficient)

just get a reducing rubber coupler

PeteRT
06-03-2010, 10:52 PM

you have the vortech hat? i don't remember and am too lazy to look for your pics, lol... if so, I may be interested if you want to unload it. I have a paxton hat and i just think it's silly having mismatched stuff.
pete

bfranzel
06-04-2010, 01:28 AM
you have the vortech hat? i don't remember and am too lazy to look for your pics, lol... if so, I may be interested if you want to unload it. I have a paxton hat and i just think it's silly having mismatched stuff.
pete

this is the one i have. not sure if ill be buying one or a gasket. if i sell then you have first dibbs

PeteRT
06-04-2010, 02:38 AM
ahh, i was lookin for the smaller one. who knows- maybe ill change my mind. just lemmie know when you're ready and i'll either pull the trigger or unload & show clear.
pete

Five9Dak
06-05-2010, 09:33 PM
http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/1/1273/1961/3180980024_large.jpg

Getting closer......

GoFastGray
06-07-2010, 01:42 AM
this is the one i have. not sure if ill be buying one or a gasket. if i sell then you have first dibbs

SECOND DIBS!!! :biggthumpup: