PDA

View Full Version : Install of LM-2 and review

SB440R/T
05-29-2010, 12:30 AM
Wow this thing is much better than going with the dynojet. I tried to do a stealth install as much as I coul. I ran all the wires into the center console. Only thing I had to cut was a little carpet in front of the center console. Overall very easy to use and nothing to wire up unless you are doing the gauge with it.

Power plug, run under the center console.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d197/Davidsalazar03/Truck/CIMG2503.jpg

OBD2 port plug tagged onto the hood release, fits perfect. Used some EZ pass velcro stuff.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d197/Davidsalazar03/Truck/CIMG2502.jpg

Finally the LM2 fits nicely in the center console with everything hidden when its closed. I will probably get some more of that velcro and put it on the wall of the console.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d197/Davidsalazar03/Truck/CIMG2505.jpg

BryanRT360
05-29-2010, 12:37 AM
dont you have a power source in the console? mine is a constant 12v. I need to swap the wires to make it a switched 12v. currently i'm using the one in the dash also..

I did however just picked up a A/F gauge to wire into the lm2 for when its packed away...
http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/images/G4_day&night.jpg
I'm gonna paint the bezel black to match my "phantom" gauges.( white face black bezel)

SB440R/T
05-29-2010, 12:39 AM
dont you have a power source in the console? mine is a constant 12v. I need to swap the wires to make it a switched 12v. currently i'm using the one in the dash also..

I did however just picked up a A/F gauge to wire into the lm2 for when its packed away...
http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/images/G4_day&night.jpg
I'm gonna paint the bezel black to match my "phantom" gauges.( white face black bezel)

Yea, but how do you make it a switched source vs constant? I have the gauge also, just have not wired it up, too lazy. Is the wiring the same as the LM1? Cause that is the instructions I got in the box.

BryanRT360
05-29-2010, 12:49 AM
Yea, but how do you make it a switched source vs constant? I dunno, but I intend to find out.

I have the gauge also, just have not wired it up, too lazy. Is the wiring the same as the LM1? Cause that is the instructions I got in the box.

Not Quite.. did your come with the analog cable with the 14 leads on it? refer to page 29 in the lm2 manual.download from innovative. I printed that bastard out..50 pages..use the analog out 2 like your paper says and configure with the lm programer like the paper says...page 34 shows you how to hook up the wires. use pg 29 for wire colors

:biggthumpup:

BryanRT360
05-29-2010, 12:52 AM
just make sure you use a switched 12v source. one time i forgot to unplug from the constant and it drained the batt.

Also it MUST always be plugged in when the truck is running... exhaust gases on a unheated sensor will damage it over time..

bfranzel
05-29-2010, 12:56 AM
Wow this thing is much better than going with the dynojet. I tried to do a stealth install as much as I coul. I ran all the wires into the center console. Only thing I had to cut was a little carpet in front of the center console. Overall very easy to use and nothing to wire up unless you are doing the gauge with it.

Power plug, run under the center console.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d197/Davidsalazar03/Truck/CIMG2503.jpg

OBD2 port plug tagged onto the hood release, fits perfect. Used some EZ pass velcro stuff.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d197/Davidsalazar03/Truck/CIMG2502.jpg

Finally the LM2 fits nicely in the center console with everything hidden when its closed. I will probably get some more of that velcro and put it on the wall of the console.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d197/Davidsalazar03/Truck/CIMG2505.jpg

thats exactly how i have mine. except i took the lid apart and put a piece of 1/4" althread threw the plastic and mounted the lm-2 to that so its not just laying in there!:biggthumpup:

SB440R/T
05-29-2010, 01:59 AM
Yea I am going to probably mount it in there somehow.

Bryan, my manual is very vague. Its long as shit, but the wiring for the sensor is very basic.

Is this what you are talking about?

5.2.2 Wiring Analog Inputs
The LM-2’s inputs are differential. A differential input does not measure a signal relative
to electrical ground. Instead it measures the relative voltage between two signals. That
is, it does not measure the '+' signal in relationship to ground, but in relationship to the '-'
signal. It measures the 'difference' between them (hence the name differential input!)
Below you will find diagrams that should better illustrate the correct way to wire in
external sensors. Please note that the + lead is signal positive, NOT power.

SB440R/T
05-29-2010, 02:08 AM
Here is a good set of instructions, much easier.

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/support/manual/DB_manual.pdf

Also I plan on using an XM socket plug to hardwire it into the vehicle. Sooner or later. I don't like how my gauge looks though, its blacked out when its off.

RJ_Hythloday
06-15-2010, 01:09 AM
So where'd you run the O2 sensor through the firewall at?

BryanRT360
06-15-2010, 01:21 AM
I ran mine through a factory grommet by the steering column.

I have mine hidden in the center console. I barely have enough to plug the sensor in... maybe 3-4 inches. you can buy longer leads though.. I get my readings from a gauge..

some ppl drill a hole in the floor under the seat.

KTK00R/T
06-15-2010, 01:30 AM
I don't like how my gauge looks though, its blacked out when its off.

Thats actually why I didn't go with innovate.. I didn't like the LC-1 Gauge.. now I'm stuck trying to figure out how to data-log with an AEM..

I ran mine through the passenger side grommet on the firewall through the dash, and up the steering column. The O2 and my Cut-out are through the same one.

SB440R/T
06-15-2010, 01:53 AM

Put in whole in the floorboard behind the pedals to the collector pipe.

X_HAWAII RT
06-15-2010, 02:48 PM

When you say "switched" do you mean so you can turn it on/off? If so, I don't think that'd be a good idea. I read this on the LM2 instructions....

"When installed in the exhaust, the oxygen sensor MUST be connected and
operating with the LM-2 whenever the car is running. An un-powered oxygen
sensor will be quickly damaged when exposed to hot exhaust gases."

SB440R/T
06-15-2010, 04:18 PM
When you say "switched" do you mean so you can turn it on/off? If so, I don't think that'd be a good idea. I read this on the LM2 instructions....

That is not what he is talking about. Switched means that it turns on when he turns the key "switch" on, thus its only on when the key is on.

BryanRT360
06-15-2010, 05:35 PM

yeah dave said it.. my power point in my console is always live. sometimes I would forget to unplug it and it would kill my battery.. I have mine ran like Dave's till i figure out how to turn it it to a " switched 12v source"

X_HAWAII RT
06-15-2010, 08:16 PM
ahhh-I see, as you can tell I'm not electrically incline. Now, with it powered/ switched you can data log whenever you'd want, right?

I still need to hook mine up when I get back in Dec and have time to mess with it. truck is in storage......

SB440R/T
06-15-2010, 08:20 PM
ahhh-I see, as you can tell I'm not electrically incline. Now, with it powered/ switched you can data log whenever you'd want, right?

I still need to hook mine up when I get back in Dec and have time to mess with it. truck is in storage......

Yes you can.

Five9Dak
06-15-2010, 08:28 PM
Once you make sure its working to your liking I would either buy an accesory socket with pigtails and hardwire that behind the dash to switched 12v or remove the plug (if you don't care about warrenty) and do the same.

I would be scared the plug would eventually end up removed with the engine running one way or another.

RJ_Hythloday
06-15-2010, 09:37 PM
Alright, so this is not something I'd picked up on yet, if the sensor is in the LM2 needs to be on? I'm pretty sure it came w/ a plug to take it out. I need to get it installed soon.

SB440R/T
06-15-2010, 09:52 PM
Alright, so this is not something I'd picked up on yet, if the sensor is in the LM2 needs to be on? I'm pretty sure it came w/ a plug to take it out. I need to get it installed soon.

Not exactly sure what you are asking. Also you done with the tools yet?

RJ_Hythloday
06-16-2010, 04:06 PM
Not exactly sure what you are asking. Also you done with the tools yet?

I'm asking if the O2 sensor is in the pipe, do I have to keep the LM2 turned on while driving?

Remember I pm'd you about Jason using them? He was going to do a cam up North and send it back to you.

SB440R/T
06-16-2010, 04:10 PM
I'm asking if the O2 sensor is in the pipe, do I have to keep the LM2 turned on while driving?

Remember I pm'd you about Jason using them? He was going to do a cam up North and send it back to you.

If its in the pipe and the truck is running it has to be on or you will kill the sensor.

Cool, which Jason was it?

RJ_Hythloday
06-16-2010, 05:37 PM
If its in the pipe and the truck is running it has to be on or you will kill the sensor.

Cool, which Jason was it?

good to know,

Amberfire

emwhiteR/T
06-17-2010, 02:14 AM
Looks good!

I temporarily ran my O2 wire through one of the kick panels. It has a big enough gap to get to the outside and below a fender flare. Just leave enough slack for flexing.

good to know,

Amberfire

If you kill the sensor it's a stock O2 sensor for a VW that you can buy at the parts store. Gotta search the forums for the part number but I think someone mentioned the part number for the Lm1. The LM2 uses the same O2.

BryanRT360
06-17-2010, 02:29 AM
Looks good!

I temporarily ran my O2 wire through one of the kick panels. It has a big enough gap to get to the outside and below a fender flare. Just leave enough slack for flexing.

If you kill the sensor it's a stock O2 sensor for a VW that you can buy at the parts store. Gotta search the forums for the part number but I think someone mentioned the part number for the Lm1. The LM2 uses the same O2.

bosch 17014

RJ_Hythloday
06-17-2010, 11:46 AM
bosch 17014
Thanks!

BluRT00
06-23-2010, 09:28 PM
Well Just bit the bullet on buying the LM2... Next step SCT!

NavyIT
06-26-2010, 12:46 AM
I've just received my LM-2 and haven't installed the O2 sensor yet, but I do have the OBDII cable plugged in and a SD card to log. So now the question is which OBD data should be considered most important and why? Is there a resource somewhere where I can read up on this? Right now I'm not trying to tune, but to figure out why the truck quits on me when it gets hot, at least I think it's temperature related.

emwhiteR/T
06-26-2010, 03:31 AM
I've just received my LM-2 and haven't installed the O2 sensor yet, but I do have the OBDII cable plugged in and a SD card to log. So now the question is which OBD data should be considered most important and why? Is there a resource somewhere where I can read up on this? Right now I'm not trying to tune, but to figure out why the truck quits on me when it gets hot, at least I think it's temperature related.

Log RPM's, timing, MAP at the very least. I also log engine coolant temp, Intake air temp and speed but I set all three to a low priority.