PDA

View Full Version : Six Speed Manual?

ypsi_R/T
03-22-2008, 01:30 AM
One of the things I hate about my R/T...it's and automatic. I want to convert it to a six speed. I'm sure it's a question of how much I want to spend...(I'm cheap)

Where can I find a rebuild? OR, one that I can rebuild myself? (Got lot's of time to tinker with it.)

autoXer47
03-22-2008, 01:41 AM
There was a kit at one time but not anymore, If your cheap don't even think about it. It is very expensive to do.

mtlcafan79
03-22-2008, 05:42 AM
I <3 my TKO. It's up to you if it's worth $4k though. The T56 is even more.

Rick Adams
03-22-2008, 12:16 PM
One of the things I hate about my R/T...it's and automatic. I want to convert it to a six speed. I'm sure it's a question of how much I want to spend...(I'm cheap)

Where can I find a rebuild? OR, one that I can rebuild myself? (Got lot's of time to tinker with it.)

Good luck on the 6 spd, I'm sure it can be done......
Ypsi? Why haven't we met ya? I'm in Pinckney, lots of locals here!

chiller2484
03-22-2008, 12:18 PM
Barry (Formerly of Alaska) has a 6spd R/T. i don't know the specs on his off the top of my head, but i'm sure someone does.

ypsi_R/T
03-22-2008, 12:59 PM
There was a kit at one time but not anymore, If your cheap don't even think about it. It is very expensive to do.

4-6K is no problem....just takes time and money.

irbaboon
03-22-2008, 10:21 PM
what is the main cost in doing this, im sure the trans and adapter plate/bell housing cant be that much, is it all in the computer?

mtlcafan79
03-23-2008, 02:13 AM
If you want a T56, you will have to do a custom bellhousing, or convert to an LA style setup with and old skool BH. The older style ones don't line up with our starters correctly since they are for the 130 tooth flexplates/flywheels. If you are doing a stand alone, it's no big deal. You loose the factory flexplate with the CPS windows. The 130 tooth ones don't have that. Keisler takes an AX-15 BH and cuts off the tranny part and welds on a plate. Grady's is done that way too. Keisler used to sell them for $800.

548ciDakota
03-23-2008, 03:05 AM
I think Keisler might be getting back into the R/T game. Was talking to him several weeks ago. He had a couple of questions about his own R/T which is how we began talking. I think he is going to focus on a tranny swap for the R/T's and not focus again on all Dakota platforms like before. We will see. He said he still has some parts sitting on shelves for the Dakota.

6speedrt
03-23-2008, 03:20 PM
Actually the computer is the cheap easy part. Just send it off to B&G and they can flash the tranny parameters out of it. Done deal...

The expense is the tranny/kit itself. If you do everything yourself, you can easily come in under 5K even with the T-56. I didn't have a shop or time when I did mine so I had Keisler do it. Now I have both (a little more time anyway). Just make sure you get the T-56 for the Viper and not the Camero/Mustang.

GrimRT
03-23-2008, 04:15 PM
The parts list is fairly straight forward (let me know if I miss anything)

Computer flash -- $350
Trans (Tko or T56) -- $2-3k
Bellhousing -- $800?
Clutch cylinder --?
t/o bearing -- $200-500
pedal assembly --?
clutch -- $200-400
shifter -- $100-250
cross member bracket/modification -- ??
driveshaft -- $500
back-up light wiring -- neg.
neutral saftey switch modification

easily 4 - 6k depending on the quality of parts you use. Anyone with more info/better pricing feel free to edit the list.

GrimRT
03-23-2008, 04:17 PM
If you want a T56, you will have to do a custom bellhousing, or convert to an LA style setup with and old skool BH. The older style ones don't line up with our starters correctly since they are for the 130 tooth flexplates/flywheels. If you are doing a stand alone, it's no big deal. You loose the factory flexplate with the CPS windows. The 130 tooth ones don't have that. Keisler takes an AX-15 BH and cuts off the tranny part and welds on a plate. Grady's is done that way too. Keisler used to sell them for $800.

The Keisler bellhousing move the starter down, I don't know if it is similar to the LA bellhousing but it would be interesting to know.

mtlcafan79
03-23-2008, 11:10 PM
The Keisler TKO BH's are the same as an AX-15 BH for the first 2" or so from the motor. The rest is custom. McLeod makes a SBM to TKO BH too, but that's the one that only takes 130 tooth flexplates/flywheels. Keisler gets/got $299 for their custom BH. I don't know how much the McLeod's are. Keisler's T56 BH's were $799.

If you use the Kesiler custom BH, you can use all the factory 5 speed parts. T/O bearing, yoke, hydraulics, pedals, etc. It makes it really easy to swap to. Using the McLeod setup you have to go to an old skool setup, or hydraulic t/o. I've heard a lot people complain about the hydraulic bearings. Using the factory stuff is so much easier. Not adjustable and it's permanently sealed, but it works.

dakfink
03-27-2008, 12:45 PM
The parts list is fairly straight forward (let me know if I miss anything)

Computer flash -- $350 I thought a B&G Flash was $450+
Trans (Tko or T56) -- $2-3k You can pick-up a used T-56 for $1200-1800 and rebuild it for about $800
Bellhousing -- $800? Belhousings are about $250-550
Clutch cylinder --?
t/o bearing -- $200-500 about $150-250
pedal assembly --? I think Danno quoted this at $255 one time
clutch -- $200-400
shifter -- $100-250
cross member bracket/modification -- ?? Custom Fabbed DIY
driveshaft -- $500
back-up light wiring -- neg. DIY
neutral saftey switch modification DIY

easily 4 - 6k depending on the quality of parts you use. Anyone with more info/better pricing feel free to edit the list.

If you do as much as you can yourself you can cut the cost way down.

5.9 slowkota rt
06-09-2008, 03:37 PM
will the viper bellhousing not bolt up to the magnum motor

ChargerSRT
07-24-2008, 12:42 PM
Hi Dakota RT members,

Some years ago, my company manufactured 5 & 6-speed transmission kits for Dakota. We discontinued these in 2006, primarily due to cost of the 6-speed kit, and the many variations of Dakota which created complexity in the build and service.

As an original owner of one of the first Dakota R/T built (actually have a first article tag on one of my interior parts), I wanted to bring this product back - for the community and self.

So, I am refocused on a limited production 6-speed kit utilizing an inhouse remanufactured T56 for the 5.9L Dakota R/T only - no other engine variants (4.7, 5.7, 318, etc). By using a reman T56 and limiting options, I am hopeful to control the costs to an attractive price point.

I would like some help from the forum to implement a sticky post with a POLL, so I can understand your expectations.

If someone can send me an email to skeisler at keislerauto dot com and let me know how to proceed, that would be a big help.

My truck will have the first 6-speed kit within a few more weeks.

I am looking at doing this as a comemerative special edition celebrating the 10th year anniversary of the Dakota R/T. I have nearly completed a resto-mod of my 1998 R/T, and look forward to driving it again.

My truck could possibly be at the Dakota R/T Nationals event for show and demonstration. I will be at the Mopar Nationals the weekend before in Columbus OH, so I am uncertain if I could attend this event, but possibly one of my staff or a member of the Tremec staff.

[Moderators: If you want to pull this post out to it's own thread, that is OK by me.]

Best Regards,

krusty_R/T
07-24-2008, 01:15 PM
Hi Dakota RT members,

Some years ago, my company manufactured 5 & 6-speed transmission kits for Dakota. We discontinued these in 2006, primarily due to cost of the 6-speed kit, and the many variations of Dakota which created complexity in the build and service.

As an original owner of one of the first Dakota R/T built (actually have a first article tag on one of my interior parts), I wanted to bring this product back - for the community and self.

So, I am refocused on a limited production 6-speed kit utilizing an inhouse remanufactured T56 for the 5.9L Dakota R/T only - no other engine variants (4.7, 5.7, 318, etc). By using a reman T56 and limiting options, I am hopeful to control the costs to an attractive price point.

I would like some help from the forum to implement a sticky post with a POLL, so I can understand your expectations.

If someone can send me an email to skeisler at keislerauto dot com and let me know how to proceed, that would be a big help.

My truck will have the first 6-speed kit within a few more weeks.

I am looking at doing this as a comemerative special edition celebrating the 10th year anniversary of the Dakota R/T. I have nearly completed a resto-mod of my 1998 R/T, and look forward to driving it again.

My truck could possibly be at the Dakota R/T Nationals event for show and demonstration. I will be at the Mopar Nationals the weekend before in Columbus OH, so I am uncertain if I could attend this event, but possibly one of my staff or a member of the Tremec staff.

[Moderators: If you want to pull this post out to it's own thread, that is OK by me.]

Best Regards,

I moved and stickied the post here http://dakotart.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2364

BTW this has always been one of the mods I have wanted to do to my truck. Timing isn't great since I'm poor at the moment, but it's great to know there still may be an option out there for us!

ChargerSRT
08-22-2008, 06:02 AM
Hi Guys,

Check out the new post made today under this Engine Modifications forum.

It has all of the details about doing the 6-speed swap.

rattler360
08-23-2008, 05:47 PM
i like the idea im building my truck for the silver state classic or maxon mile